madmyes wrote:Hi NeilZ;
So I tried to use the fix that you suggested, and it still doesn't work.
I'll try and restate the issue, and see if that might lead to another suggestion.
I can work on the computer that I originally set up PowerChurch 10, which updated the information from Version 9. (The Church was only using the Membership module at that point in time.) I use the backup utility to backup, and it shows there were no errors, even on verification, no errors.
It is an unnetworked computer at this time.
I have downloaded the PowerChurch 10 program on to my laptop in order to do some more updating at home rather than having to tie up the computer at the church. I have created the church user info, and then tired to restore backup files to the powerchurch program on the laptop. when I run the restore backup, it indicates there are no errors in restoration. I have tried a couple of different data sticks AND backup on a CD, they all come out the same way. Instead of being able to enter data into "white" fields, there is only grey. When I drill in, the information that I ahve entered shows up, but I am unable to add/change or modify anything.
It almost seems that there is an access issue, but I cannot resolve what is preventing me from updating, as I have unclicked the "read only" box in properties.
I have worked with two other churches and done the same thing, without this problem occurring.
What am I missing?
"Helpless in Calgary"
OK ... I get it now.
You're trying to restore the data to the laptop using a backup taken from the machine at church. The laptop, what version of Windows is it running ??
When you installed Powerchurch on the Laptop, did you install it as a user with Admin permissions? Since you didn't have a database on the laptop, I'm assuming that you started the program without trying to convert older data. You mentioned that you entered the church registration data when you ran PC+ the first time. You then tried to do the restore from a flash drive, as well as a CD using the built-in Powerchurch restore utility.
When you did this, I'm assuming it was under PC+ System Admin permissions. Upon restore, the system should reindex the files, and then close. You would then need to reopen the program, and all the restored data should be available.
Yet you cannot access the data to change it. Are you accessing using the System Admin ID, or someone else's ID. It could be that the ID you're using does not normally have the access to those features of the program.