Back-up and Restore Question

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

sjmiller

Back-up and Restore Question

Post by sjmiller »

I worked on PowerChurch at the office, backed up PowerChurch on my USB stick, took it home and did a lot of work on my laptop and then backed up on the USB stick and brought it back to the office to restore the files from my USB stick to the office computer. It didn't work. It restored the files on my office computer back onto my USB stick and not the other way around so I lost the work that I did on my laptop . I followed the directions in the manual but I must be missing a step or something. Of course the files on still on my laptop so I can back them up again on my USB stick but how do I restore them back to the office computer? Thank you.

Sheila Miller
Grace Baptist Church
Pelzer, SC

NeilZ

Re: Back-up and Restore Question

Post by NeilZ »

sjmiller wrote:I worked on PowerChurch at the office, backed up PowerChurch on my USB stick, took it home and did a lot of work on my laptop and then backed up on the USB stick and brought it back to the office to restore the files from my USB stick to the office computer. It didn't work. It restored the files on my office computer back onto my USB stick and not the other way around so I lost the work that I did on my laptop . I followed the directions in the manual but I must be missing a step or something. Of course the files on still on my laptop so I can back them up again on my USB stick but how do I restore them back to the office computer? Thank you.

Sheila Miller
Grace Baptist Church
Pelzer, SC

Sheila,

there is no way that a restore will put the files back on your USB drive if you selected the restore radio button.

Did you get the dialog to Select Disk Drive? If so, you did select the drive letter for the USB drive, right?
When you clicked the NEXT button, did you get the dialog that asked Select backup to restore ?
After you selected the backup, and clicked the NEXT button, did you get a dialog that asked CONFIRM: Restore this backup?? It will also list the Powerchurch version, the date the backup was made, and the backup type.

If you didn't see any of these, then you may have accidentally hit backup instead of restore.

Even if you did, your backup SHOULD NOT have overwritten the backup found on the drive, as the system will create a NEW NAME when it backs up as it adds the current date and time to the filename like this:

PCBACKUP_20170210_0858ADP.ZIP
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.