Reinstalled and lost all data

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

FPCSheboygan

Reinstalled and lost all data

Post by FPCSheboygan »

I was receiving a registry error and it was recommended to reinstall to program. I did so and lost all my data. :cry: Please help!!

NeilZ

Re: Reinstalled and lost all data

Post by NeilZ »

FPCSheboygan wrote:I was receiving a registry error and it was recommended to reinstall to program. I did so and lost all my data. :cry: Please help!!
You don't have a backup ?? Who recommended the reinstall? Did you reinstall to the same location?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

FPCSheboygan

Post by FPCSheboygan »

neilz wrote:
FPCSheboygan wrote:I was receiving a registry error and it was recommended to reinstall to program. I did so and lost all my data. :cry: Please help!!
You don't have a backup ?? Who recommended the reinstall? Did you reinstall to the same location?
It seems it is a perfect storm. The reinstallation was a recommendation by Microsoft/Windows. I was under the impression our data was being backedup on line - not so. Yes, I reinstalled to the same location. Would a hard drive recovery program find the overwritten data?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FPCSheboygan wrote:
neilz wrote:
It seems it is a perfect storm. The reinstallation was a recommendation by Microsoft/Windows. I was under the impression our data was being backedup on line - not so. Yes, I reinstalled to the same location. Would a hard drive recovery program find the overwritten data?
Of course it did ... not everything that is recommended by Windows is a good thing. That said, check to see the DATA directory is shown under the x:\Powerchurch\PCPlus115 (or whatever your version is) directory.

If it is, then open that directory and look at the dates of the files there. If they are relatively recent, then the data is not lost.

Let us know what you find. As far as backups, it is always a good idea to do Powerchurch backups, and put the file either on another networked drive, Dropbox, or USB thumb drive. Full disk backups are OK, but nothing beats having a Powerchurch backup as that insures you have the data for your church, and you can restore it easily.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

FPCSheboygan

Post by FPCSheboygan »

neilz wrote: Of course it did ... not everything that is recommended by Windows is a good thing. That said, check to see the DATA directory is shown under the x:\Powerchurch\PCPlus115 (or whatever your version is) directory.

If it is, then open that directory and look at the dates of the files there. If they are relatively recent, then the data is not lost.

Let us know what you find. As far as backups, it is always a good idea to do Powerchurch backups, and put the file either on another networked drive, Dropbox, or USB thumb drive. Full disk backups are OK, but nothing beats having a Powerchurch backup as that insures you have the data for your church, and you can restore it easily.
My main DATA directory is not under the PowerChurch directory, there are at the same level. And the 'data' directory that is under PowerChurch shows all files with today's date. Guess I'm stuck rebuilding. I am physically ill.

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations for the future.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FPCSheboygan wrote:
neilz wrote: Of course it did ... not everything that is recommended by Windows is a good thing. That said, check to see the DATA directory is shown under the x:\Powerchurch\PCPlus115 (or whatever your version is) directory.

My main DATA directory is not under the PowerChurch directory, there are at the same level. And the 'data' directory that is under PowerChurch shows all files with today's date. Guess I'm stuck rebuilding. I am physically ill.

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations for the future.
Wait a second. If you're telling me that the Data directory is right under the 'Powerchurch' directory, then there's something you're not telling me.

Are you running off a network? The reason I ask is that the DATA directory has always been under the x:\Powerchurch\PCPLUS11, or \PCPLUS115, or \PCPLUS12 directory.

If you're seeing the DATA directory is at the same level as the INSTALL directory ?? That's a completely different issue.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.