Edit Menu grayed out

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Davida Secretary

Edit Menu grayed out

Post by Davida Secretary »

All selections on my Edit menu are grayed out. Is there another way for me to "find" an amount?

NeilZ

Re: Edit Menu grayed out

Post by NeilZ »

Davida Secretary wrote:All selections on my Edit menu are grayed out. Is there another way for me to "find" an amount?
You're not giving us much to work on:

1. What area ?? Contributions? Funds Accounting??
2. What are you doing? Looking at a report?

Without more information, we can't be of any assistance.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Davida Secretary

On the opening screen, there is a menu bar across the top with File, Edit, Membership, Accounting, Contributions, Events, Record Keeping, Utilities, Window, and Help. I needed to find any type of transactions with a particular amount. But when I choose "Edit" on the menu bar, all selections are grayed out. Am I incorrectly assuming that I should be able to search for something in this manner? If so, then I'm not sure what the purpose the "Edit" menu serves on the opening screen. Also, sometimes I have to search for someone by First Name only. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help you can give.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Davida Secretary wrote:On the opening screen, there is a menu bar across the top with File, Edit, Membership, Accounting, Contributions, Events, Record Keeping, Utilities, Window, and Help. I needed to find any type of transactions with a particular amount. But when I choose "Edit" on the menu bar, all selections are grayed out. Am I incorrectly assuming that I should be able to search for something in this manner? If so, then I'm not sure what the purpose the "Edit" menu serves on the opening screen. Also, sometimes I have to search for someone by First Name only. Is there a way to do that? Thanks for any help you can give.
Edit only comes in to play when you actually have some sort of record, report, or transaction open to work on.

As far as the first issue you listed, you would have to be in Accounting. Now you didn't say the type of transaction you're looking for. Deposits, checks, etc.

In the other case you would want to be in the Membership module and open the Personal Profiles -> Maintain Personal Profiles. When the window appears, you would click on the LOCATE button, then when the list window appears, click on the FIRST NAME header. This sorts all the names by first names. You would then start to type the name of the person, so if you started typing JO, the system would bring you to the first name beginning with JO .. Jonathan for example. If you kept on type JOHN, it would bring you to the first JOHN in the list.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Davida Secretary

Thanks for your patience and help, NeilZ. No matter where I am in the program, the Edit menu seems to remain gray. However, because of your comments, I was able to find workarounds for my needs. For finding a specific amount, I went to Accounting - Accounts Payable - Custom Reports - Posted, and then ran a report looking for a specific amount between 2 dates.

For sorting by First Name, I did as you suggested, choosing Membership - Personal Profiles - Maintain Personal Profiles - Locate, and then chose Filter by Last Name - OK, and clicked on the First Name heading. Again, thank you.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Davida Secretary wrote:Thanks for your patience and help, NeilZ. No matter where I am in the program, the Edit menu seems to remain gray. However, because of your comments, I was able to find workarounds for my needs. For finding a specific amount, I went to Accounting - Accounts Payable - Custom Reports - Posted, and then ran a report looking for a specific amount between 2 dates.

For sorting by First Name, I did as you suggested, choosing Membership - Personal Profiles - Maintain Personal Profiles - Locate, and then chose Filter by Last Name - OK, and clicked on the First Name heading. Again, thank you.
That's the best way of doing it, plus you can save the custom report for reuse.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.