Chart of Accounts from One User to Another User

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RadiantLife

Chart of Accounts from One User to Another User

Post by RadiantLife »

I am helping another church set up their chart of accounts. They would like to use the chart of accounts I have for my church. How can I copy my chart of accounts and add it to their PC+ Software. I have version 12 and so do they? I just want to copy the chart of accounts with no data.
Thanks
GE

NeilZ

Re: Chart of Accounts from One User to Another User

Post by NeilZ »

RadiantLife wrote:I am helping another church set up their chart of accounts. They would like to use the chart of accounts I have for my church. How can I copy my chart of accounts and add it to their PC+ Software. I have version 12 and so do they? I just want to copy the chart of accounts with no data.
Thanks
GE
You can't.

There is no process to export your chart of accounts. It may take more time, but they will have to enter it by hand.

In addition, if they are just starting accounting, it is much easier for them to use the setup assistant, and then use it to add or delete the accounts as needed. The reason being, the setup assistant does a lot of things that they would have to do by hand, beginning balances, liabilities, etc.

My suggestion is to print out your chart of accounts, and they should have it when they start the process, then refer to it when the assistant gets to that part of the setup.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RadiantLife

Post by RadiantLife »

Thanks. I had asked, probably someone else at PC+, and they told me that I would have to upgrade to Version 12 in order to do what I was asking. I wish I had known that it couldn't be done, I probably would not have upgraded. Anyway, time is a problem, so I am stuck and they probably won't be using PC+ because I can't help them.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RadiantLife wrote:Thanks. I had asked, probably someone else at PC+, and they told me that I would have to upgrade to Version 12 in order to do what I was asking. I wish I had known that it couldn't be done, I probably would not have upgraded. Anyway, time is a problem, so I am stuck and they probably won't be using PC+ because I can't help them.
I'm not sure who said that you could import the Chart of Accounts, as it is not possible in v12. However, its not that hard to setup the Chart of Accounts using the Accounting Setup Assistant. The Assistant will produce the basic chart of accounts, you can then use the one you have printed out to delete or add to it.

As I said, it is MUCH EASIER to do this using the Assistant because it will walk them through all the steps necessary to get their current starting balances, liabilities, and any assets they depreciate in the system. Trying to do it after the fact, is MUCH MUCH harder.

You talk about time being a factor, well if you tried to give them a chart of accounts, it would take them more time to do all the various starting balance entries, and entering all the other entries such as tax liabilities, etc.

Taking the extra time to do it right, will save them a lot of grief later on. No matter how long it takes, getting it correct at the beginning, will save them time.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I'm sorry to reply to this so late, I just noticed the part about someone here telling you to upgrade to Version 12 to do this.

The idea is if the other church was already running Version 12, you would need to be running Version 12 to be able to share data with them using the Backup & Restore utility.

As Neil said, the Accounting Setup Assistant makes things a lot easier. However, if you wanted to, you could just make an Accounting Files backup, restore the FA* files from that, so only Fund Accounting would come over, then use the Delete Old Data utility to delete all of your posted transaction history and restart with $0 balances.

Again, I apologize that I missed this before, but didn't want to leave this out here without a full explanation. Hopefully, it will help someone in the future.