Most Efficient Way to Up-grade?

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

k9vet

Most Efficient Way to Up-grade?

Post by k9vet »

I will be upgrading from V. 9 to v. 11.5 soon. Would it better to enter all the new data I need from scratch or
can I just import all the old data and then just delete all the stuff I don't want such as former members and former employees, etc?

Could I import only certain modules such as payroll or membership, or do I need to import everything together and then update/delete
as necessary? I want to start 2015 with v. 11.5 (but I will save all my v. 9 stuff on a disc or thumbdrive.)

NeilZ

Re: Most Efficient Way to Up-grade?

Post by NeilZ »

k9vet wrote:I will be upgrading from V. 9 to v. 11.5 soon. Would it better to enter all the new data I need from scratch or
can I just import all the old data and then just delete all the stuff I don't want such as former members and former employees, etc?
If you have the time to enter all that data (not knowing how big your database is, go for it. However, remember a few things:

1. You have to maintain contribution data for at least 4 years per IRS rules. So you can't go deleting old members, only move their envelopes to a holding range of numbers until those 4 years are up.

2. You have to maintain employment data up to 7 years (I'm recalling from memory, but I suggest you check IRS and state pubs on this).

So those two things tend to limit what you can remove.

I would just let the installation program run, use the default directory, then let the program copy and upgrade the database. Your old database is not deleted or changed in any way, so it will still be around to refer to if necessary. However, if the installer wants to put the install in the "Program Files (x86)" or similar folder, change it to x:\Powerchurch (where x is the drive letter). This is critical for Win Vista/7/8 as that folder has automatic restrictions which can cause issues.
Could I import only certain modules such as payroll or membership, or do I need to import everything together and then update/delete as necessary? I want to start 2015 with v. 11.5 (but I will save all my v. 9 stuff on a disc or thumbdrive.)
Nope, the upgrade is an all or nothing proposition. However, it will walk you through the Payroll update, as well as ask some questions about your Funds Accounting setup. You'll also have the opportunity to just say restart Funds Accounting & Payroll from scratch.

Membership & Contributions will be brought over and updated to the newer database format automatically. And as I said above, your old data (and v9 installation) will not be touched, so you can access it if needed. I would just remove the V9 icon from the desktops of the computer, along with the desktops of any networked clients.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

felicia_simmons

Post by felicia_simmons »

I just upgraded from V.11.1 to V.11.55. I am trying to do a restore of my most recent back-up from V.11.1 I am getting an error message stating that I can't do a restore because my back-up contains items from V.11.1. Does this mean I have to start from scratch and enter everything all over again?! How can that be possible?! This doesn't seem right at all.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

felicia_simmons wrote:I just upgraded from V.11.1 to V.11.55. I am trying to do a restore of my most recent back-up from V.11.1 I am getting an error message stating that I can't do a restore because my back-up contains items from V.11.1. Does this mean I have to start from scratch and enter everything all over again?! How can that be possible?! This doesn't seem right at all.
You should have done an upgrade when starting v11.55 for the first time. However, you have posted the same question in two separate topics and I've already answered in the other one.

FYI ... its always better to start a new topic, than to continue an older topic, especially one that is over 1 year old.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.