Case-sensitive sorting

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CACFla

Case-sensitive sorting

Post by CACFla »

I was wondering if there was a way to override the case-sensitive sorting. For instance when I view posted transactions and am looking for ACME Co it shows up in a different area of the list than Acme Co.
Thank you.

NeilZ

Re: Case-sensitive sorting

Post by NeilZ »

CACFla wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to override the case-sensitive sorting. For instance when I view posted transactions and am looking for ACME Co it shows up in a different area of the list than Acme Co.
Thank you.
No, the sort is based on the use of the standard character set which has a hierarchy of code numbers for each character. The only thing you can do is be consistent with the way you make entries.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CACFla

Post by CACFla »

That is what I was afraid of, but with more than one person doing input it doesn't always come out exactly the same.

I suppose my next question is: How can I change a previous entry so that the case matches?

Thank you,

Kathleen

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CACFla wrote:That is what I was afraid of, but with more than one person doing input it doesn't always come out exactly the same.

I suppose my next question is: How can I change a previous entry so that the case matches?

Thank you,

Kathleen
The easiest way to do this is to do this before its posted, otherwise you would have to reverse the original entry, then add it back in. Not exactly an easy task.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We have written this up as a bug and it will be fixed in the next Maintenance Release for Versions 11 and 11.5.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Zorak wrote:We have written this up as a bug and it will be fixed in the next Maintenance Release for Versions 11 and 11.5.
I've never noticed it to be any other way, then again ... I'm fairly consistent with data entry ...
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CACFla

Post by CACFla »

Thank you for addressing the issue. I do my best to be consistent, but I'm not the only person that does the entries. I'll be so happy that it will be changed, thank you! :D

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

I have set up rules for entering names because we have a lot of Dutch names in our denomination.
We have names spelled such as Vandenbosch, Van Den Bosch, Van den bosch, Vanden Bosch and all sorts of patterns. These names will come on a report out of alpha order. The old telephone books had it figured out in that they would somehow save the name, take out all the spaces and uppercase letters and then sort, then restore the namefield and print. I haven't seen this addressed in v11.5 that we use. Is this fixed in v.12?
Thanks.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

If the issue you have is not with uppercase letters coming before lowercase letters in an alpha sort, but rather that PowerChurch is sorting literally on the text that was entered, that has not been changed.

This is the literal sort that should be happening, regardless of case.

Van Den Bosch
Vanden Bosch
Vandenbosch

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Thanks Zorak,
What you say is true. Our issue is that:
Tyler Van Den Bosch prints before
Gene Vanden Bosch prints before
Abe Vandenbosch

I take all spaces out and lower case all but the first letter of the last and first names of the Household Key. Seems to work for us.