corrupted files after move to new computer

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Rvrsideinfo

corrupted files after move to new computer

Post by Rvrsideinfo »

I moved the installation by copying everything to the same location on the new machine, c:\PowerChurch. When I do a backup using a batch file with the command xcopy "c:\PowerChurch" "h:\Manual Backup\PowerChurch" /s /r /c /y everything copies correctly with the exception of 10 rpt files in the rpt_pre folder. I get the error message "File creation error - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." The other 164 files in the folder are copied without error. If I run this process on the old computer (XP) everything copies without error. If I delete these files on the new computer (Win7) and recopy them from the old computer, I still get the error. I ran chkdsk /f on the new computer, but no errors were reported. I ran all the standard reports in all the modules in hope of overwriting the bad files, but no improvement. The file names are maprnaa.rpt, meprnd1.rpt, MEPRND3.rpt, meprnf.rpt, prprnem.rpt, PRPRNS.rpt, prprntx.rpt, skprndt.prn, skprnpd.rpt, and viprns.rpt .

Any ideas on the cure (or the cause) for the problem? What are these files?

NeilZ

Re: corrupted files after move to new computer

Post by NeilZ »

Rvrsideinfo wrote:I moved the installation by copying everything to the same location on the new machine, c:\PowerChurch. When I do a backup using a batch file with the command xcopy "c:\PowerChurch" "h:\Manual Backup\PowerChurch" /s /r /c /y everything copies correctly with the exception of 10 rpt files in the rpt_pre folder. I get the error message "File creation error - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." The other 164 files in the folder are copied without error. If I run this process on the old computer (XP) everything copies without error. If I delete these files on the new computer (Win7) and recopy them from the old computer, I still get the error. I ran chkdsk /f on the new computer, but no errors were reported. I ran all the standard reports in all the modules in hope of overwriting the bad files, but no improvement. The file names are maprnaa.rpt, meprnd1.rpt, MEPRND3.rpt, meprnf.rpt, prprnem.rpt, PRPRNS.rpt, prprntx.rpt, skprndt.prn, skprnpd.rpt, and viprns.rpt .

Any ideas on the cure (or the cause) for the problem? What are these files?
As far as I can tell, you may be copying the files, along with the program, but you're not installing the program on the new machine. The fix is easy:

1. Delete everything you moved to the new machine.
2. If you can, make a POWERCHURCH backup of the database on the old machine, using the Powerchurch backup utility. Put it on a USB thumb drive, or a network drive you will have access to on the new machine.
3. From the help menu (or press Alt-F1) open the About Powerchurch screen, write down the registration number
4. Using the original Powerchurch install disk, install Powerchurch on the new machine.
5. Startup Powerchurch on the new machine. It may ask you if this is an upgrade or new install. If it does select NEW install. The program will ask for the registration number, and other church info. You can dummy up every entry but the registration number, that has to be properly entered.
The system will then create all the database tables. I forget if it then closes down or not. If it does, restart the program.
6. Go to the Utilities Menu, and RESTORE the backup you took in step 2 either from USB stick, or the mapped network drive.
The system will then restore your data on the new machine, reindex, then close.

When you reopen you will have a working version of Powerchurch.

Does this help ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Rvrsideinfo

Post by Rvrsideinfo »

I'm not sure I agree with your suggestion. In the past I have moved it just by copying the entire directory and running netsetup on the new machine.

I ran netsetup on the new server and it works correctly from the server's desktop. All users on the network connect normally to the new computer, just as they did to the old one. The new machine's name is different from the old one, but by editing the Target and Start In lines in their shortcuts they now connect to the new server.

We continued to work through the day, so the new machine has newer data than the old one. Could I copy the "data" folder back to the old machine and be sure that it would be up to date? If so, I could follow your suggestion.

I'll admit this is quite different from anything I've seen before. If I turn off the archive bit on each of the ten files on the old machine, then copy them to the new machine, they arrive with the archive bit turned on.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Rvrsideinfo wrote:I'm not sure I agree with your suggestion. In the past I have moved it just by copying the entire directory and running netsetup on the new machine.
Yes .. it 'should' work, but obviously it is not, which I why I recommended a clean install, as it appears that 10 report files are not copying properly for some reason
I ran netsetup on the new server and it works correctly from the server's desktop. All users on the network connect normally to the new computer, just as they did to the old one. The new machine's name is different from the old one, but by editing the Target and Start In lines in their shortcuts they now connect to the new server.
While it worked, its always a good idea to map the new Powerchurch directory on the server to a drive on the clients, and run the netsetupxx.exe to allow the setup program to properly update the registry.
We continued to work through the day, so the new machine has newer data than the old one. Could I copy the "data" folder back to the old machine and be sure that it would be up to date? If so, I could follow your suggestion.
Well what happens when you try doing a Powerchurch backup ?? If the backup works, and then when you do a Backup verify procedure using the utility it comes out OK. Then use that backup to do a clean install.
I'll admit this is quite different from anything I've seen before. If I turn off the archive bit on each of the ten files on the old machine, then copy them to the new machine, they arrive with the archive bit turned on.
Because on the new machine the OS sees them as new files that could need archiving.

Yes .. it 'should' work, but obviously it is not, which I why I recommended a clean install, as it appears that 10 report files are not copying properly for some reason.

If everything else on the system works as far as entering data,
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.