Linux installation instructions??

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

roberth

Linux installation instructions??

Post by roberth »

Has anyone successfully installed PC9 on a Linux box? If so, would you be willing to detail the instructions here?

My church's only (really) proprietary application is Powerchurch, and I'd love to get away from Windows and MS Office licensing. Everything else they use has an open source alternative, and I have no intentions of finding a replacement for Powerchurch because it works so well. :)

Thanks,
Robert

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

I was able to get the installer to run under WINE, but couldn't get the actual program to start. Granted, I didn't really spend a lot of time with it; I was just trying to see if I could do it on a system at home.

The only folks I know of who are using Linux have it set up as a file server, and use it that way. The client machines are still windows connecting via samba. Since the actual processing is on the client, that works pretty well.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

Frank Henderson

Crossover

Post by Frank Henderson »

If anybody else should ever read this thread, but has an interest in running PC+ in Linux, I was successful installing v.8.5 using Crossover. I'd have tried 9, but I lost the disk. It installed so easily I was sort of taken aback.

foxygramps

Linux Install Instructions

Post by foxygramps »

I can't help you with that, but if you want to dump MS Office, down load a FREE copy of OpenOffice 2.0. It does everything that MS Office does, is fully compatible, and its FREE!!! Download site is OpenOffice2.0.org

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Crossover

Post by Zaphod »

Frank Henderson wrote:I was successful installing v.8.5 using Crossover.
That's awesome. I know it's been listed on the Codeweavers website as "Untested." Glad to hear you got it to work!
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

Frank Henderson

Instaling v.9 with Crossover

Vers. 8.5 installed with Crossover and seemed to run fine. Vers.9 is a horse of a different color. None of the exe files, including demo.exe, will open. How disappointing! Guess it's back to Windows. That's the only program I use that is forcing me to continue with Windows.

Frank

Frank Henderson

I finally did it!

I did eventually get v. 9 to install, via Crossover, in my Ubuntu Dapper distro of Linux. I just needed to approach from a different direction (which I learned totally by flopping around aimlessly). HOWEVER, it won't recognize any of my thumb drives which are recognized by the OS. When I try to Restore from the drive it shows only drive--now get this--.F. (period) .F. dot F dot and an error window telling me that there is no backup available. I don't have any backups on a CD so I can't try that but it doesn't give one that choice. I'm sort of stymied at this point, but it's worth the time not to have to go back to Windows.

Frank

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The ".F." in the list of drives is "False" - letting you know we aren't finding any devices to backup to or restore from. PowerChuch Plus searches the system for "removable" devices, such as floppy, CD-R/RW, memory cards. Version 9 will also allow you to back up to a mapped network drive.

Hope this helps!

Frank Henderson

".F."

Thanks for that reply. That should be useful if I knew just what to do with the info. I tried using thumb drives of several different manufacturers as well as my external hard drive. And it didn't recognize my laptop's internal drive nor the CD/DVD burner either. It just didn't to want to recognize anything! Any suggestions for what I might need to do to bring that about? I'm so close to using PC+ in Ubuntu Linux that I can almost taste it.

Frank

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We have seen that different thumb drives on different computers are recognized differently by Windows. I can't say about Linux installations. In looking at a "My Computer" type view, if that is available to you, you should be able to see that the drive is being loaded as a "local disk" and not as "removable storage."

In regards to the CD/DVD burner, DVD burners are not supported. So again, it really depends on how the hardware is being loaded and recognized by the operating system. I have heard of people successfully using combo drives like that with PC+ but also have heard plenty that don't.

I'm probably only raising more questions, rather than offering solutions, here, but that's all I have got at the moment!

Frank Henderson

No drive "seen"

I'm just surprised that PowerChurch doesn't see _any_ drive,even my local hard drive in Linux. If it did it would be easy enough to download the backup file from my thumb drive there and thereby gain access to it for restoration.

Frank[/b]

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zeb »

I am an old friend and get bored every now and then and decide to pop in

have you tried mounting any drives for your install?
Once you have that drive visible in your linux filesystem (at, say,
/mnt/powerchurch or any folder) you can map that directory to a drive in CrossOver by
editing the CrossOver config file. Have a look at ~/.cxoffice/dotwine/config --
right at the top of that file are all the drive-letter specifications, and some
documentation about how to configure them.

Frank Henderson

Continuing saga: PC+ in Linux

I do appreciate that information. Being a relatively new user of Ubuntu Linux, I need to find out how to access that config file in order to take a look at it. My usual method of sudo gedit ~/.cxoffice/dotwine/config doesn't get me anywhere, but then, what's new? I'll have to do some studying. Thanks for the lead.

Frank

aw

Power Church internals for possible Linux use ?

Post by aw »

What database does Power Church use? Custom or ???

Can one query the database via shell scripts? What is the query language?

Is the database table structure openly defined, such that it could be replicated in non-proprietary database?

Thanks for any info.

Sincerely, Allen Wilkinson

NeilZ

Re: Power Church internals for possible Linux use ?

Post by NeilZ »

aw wrote:What database does Power Church use? Custom or ???

Can one query the database via shell scripts? What is the query language?

Is the database table structure openly defined, such that it could be replicated in non-proprietary database?

Thanks for any info.

Sincerely, Allen Wilkinson
Powerchurch uses Foxpro, using Foxpro commands in the Database Manager utiliity you can find the database definitions.

If Linux now has ODBC drivers, you can access, if not, you can create alot of queries from within the system.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.