partial field (wildcard) searches

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ReedsUMC

partial field (wildcard) searches

Post by ReedsUMC »

Is there a way to search using a partial field (wildcard) in either the Membership or Personal Profiles sections? I have multiple Hispanic families in which husband and wife do not share the same last name. There are also scenarios where we know a child by their last name, but don't know the parent (household) in which the child is located or vice-versa. It is difficult to find individuals within the same household if both last names are not known.

I have designed a work-around for this by creating a report that uses the 'contains' option, but this is a sloppy solution to a seemingly easy request. I have worked with SQL in the past and understand the theory of querying, but without access to the back-end of PowerChurch I am unable to tweak the search function to include wildcards.

Please help!
-Sarah

NeilZ

Re: partial field (wildcard) searches

Post by NeilZ »

ReedsUMC wrote:Is there a way to search using a partial field (wildcard) in either the Membership or Personal Profiles sections? I have multiple Hispanic families in which husband and wife do not share the same last name. There are also scenarios where we know a child by their last name, but don't know the parent (household) in which the child is located or vice-versa. It is difficult to find individuals within the same household if both last names are not known.

I have designed a work-around for this by creating a report that uses the 'contains' option, but this is a sloppy solution to a seemingly easy request. I have worked with SQL in the past and understand the theory of querying, but without access to the back-end of PowerChurch I am unable to tweak the search function to include wildcards.

Please help!
-Sarah
My suggestion is use the export to Access function of Powerchurch to export the tables and then manipulate them using Access.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.