How Long Should I Keep Member Records?

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

F12Mahon

How Long Should I Keep Member Records?

Post by F12Mahon »

I'd like to jump in with a related question. How long until the current database has "historical data? After 20 years I could see having a lot of ""graduated members." If someone is marked deceased, are they remove from all mailings?
Eugene

NeilZ

Re: How Long Should I Keep Member Records?

Post by NeilZ »

F12Mahon wrote:I'd like to jump in with a related question. How long until the current database has "historical data? After 20 years I could see having a lot of ""graduated members." If someone is marked deceased, are they remove from all mailings?
The IRS requires that you maintain records of income, such as contributions for at least four years. So you have to maintain the records in the database for at least that long.

You would mark them deceased, reassign the envelope number to a range that has been selected for archiving. We use the 4000 - 4999 range. We've never reached the max number in this.

There are other things that you need to adjust, depending on if they have a surviving spouse or not. For instance, if they have a survivor, you don't reassign the envelope, you just space out the envelope number for the deceased partner. Update the loss date, if you track that, along with any 'reason for removal' type of code you may use.

You would adjust the Mailing Name to reflect the surviving spouse or, if none, add something like "The Estate of". You would also remove the checkmark from the 'Include in mailouts", and "Publish address" on the Mailing List profile if they do not have a survivor.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Re: How Long Should I Keep Member Records?

Post by F12Mahon »

Yes, that helps.

Thanks,
Eugene