Backing up work problem.

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Patricia

Backing up work problem.

Post by Patricia »

I am working with Power Church 11.5 on Windows 10. The program has stopped backing up daily work to a flash drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem?

NeilZ

Re: Backing up work problem.

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:I am working with Power Church 11.5 on Windows 10. The program has stopped backing up daily work to a flash drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem?
Are you talking about the automatic backup ?? Check to see if the pcbackup115.exe program is in the \Powerchurch\PCPLUS115 directory. If it isn't, check to see if your antivirus program 'quarantined' the pcbackup115.exe program as having a 'virus' or 'trojan'. This is a false positive, this happened to me using AVG Internet Security. I restored the file, and added an exception to the antivirus to show it as OK.

This should fix the issue. If the file IS there, but its still not backing up, let us know if anything has changed on the computer? Did you just have the 'Anniversary Edition' of Windows 10 install ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Thanks for the reply. No, I am talking about backing up to an external flash drive. I am working on two computers and I can restore to the computer but it won't let me back up any work that I do on it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Thanks for the reply. No, I am talking about backing up to an external flash drive. I am working on two computers and I can restore to the computer but it won't let me back up any work that I do on it.
The flash drive has to be plugged in and recognized by the computer and given a drive letter before you start Powerchurch. I'm assuming that you're not using Powerchurch Online.

If you use Powerchurch Online, I'm pretty certain that you have to have it recognized by the computer before starting the IDS client.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Yes, I know how to use a flash drive. It worked fine for a while and it will still restore work from my second computer it just won't back up anything that I do on the first computer.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Also, on my second computer everything works just fine, so I know I am doing it right. I'm thinking it has to be something with the program, just wondering how to fix it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Also, on my second computer everything works just fine, so I know I am doing it right. I'm thinking it has to be something with the program, just wondering how to fix it.
You have to realize, I point out things that have occurred in the past to others to make sure that its not causing the issue here.

Now, the fact that you just gave me information that everything works fine on the second computer rules out any issues with the program there, and possibly the flash drive.

Both machines are running Windows 10 ?? Does the Windows account have administrator privileges? Based on your response, I'm going to assume that Powerchurch 'sees' the drive when you get the Select Disk Drive dialog during the backup procedure.

Are you getting any error from Windows when you try to do the backup? There has been some info going around the web about Windows 10 write-protecting USB drives. Can you copy any other file to the USB drive?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Yes, both computers use windows 10. No "error" message, in fact it goes through just like it is backing up, and it says it has backed up, but it isn't on the flash drive when I check it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Yes, both computers use windows 10. No "error" message, in fact it goes through just like it is backing up, and it says it has backed up, but it isn't on the flash drive when I check it.
Can you copy any other file to that flash drive on the computer in question ? Do you have admin privileges on that one? Did you recently get an automatic update to Win 10 Anniversary Edition (build 1607) on that one computer?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Yes I am the administrator of the program. No, it's not a recent windows 10, it's the one they first came out with. Actually there are no other files on that computer. I appreciate your help!

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

I did try a different flash drive with the same results.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Yes I am the administrator of the program. No, it's not a recent windows 10, it's the one they first came out with. Actually there are no other files on that computer. I appreciate your help!
OK .. by administrator I'm talking about your Windows computer account, the one you log into the computer with, NOT the Powerchurch admin account. Does the Windows account have administrator permissions.

Second, have you tried to copy ANY OTHER file to the USB drive using the Windows explorer? Again, the reason I'm asking is that Windows 10 has been known to Write Protect USB drives. If this is happening, you would not be able to copy a file from your local computer to the USB drive.

Please test this, thank you.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

It makes sense that it is the computer and not the program. I have passed on this information to someone who knows more about computers than I do. Hopefully we can solve it. Thanks for all your help.

I am new to powerchurch, Would you help me with another problem I am having? I need to transfer funds from one account to another and I haven't been able to figure it out. I want to transfer funds from Missions to General Fund. Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:It makes sense that it is the computer and not the program. I have passed on this information to someone who knows more about computers than I do. Hopefully we can solve it. Thanks for all your help.

I am new to powerchurch, Would you help me with another problem I am having? I need to transfer funds from one account to another and I haven't been able to figure it out. I want to transfer funds from Missions to General Fund. Thanks.
I'm assuming that there are two separate Funds Accounting Funds, right? For example, General is fund 01, and Missions is fund 02 ??

FWIW .. the PCPlus manual is very specific on how to transfer funds, the example they show there is very detailed. The newest Maintenance Release of PCPlus 11.55 included the manual as a PDF file. On page 226, it describes the setup of the Transfer accounts, and later it gives two separate examples of transfers.

The first example is a simple transfer, which sounds like its what you want to do. You will need to make sure the system is setup to use transfer accounts, and then add the two 9000- level accounts as listed in the manual.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.