Networking Help

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ktuttleodbctx

Networking Help

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

I have two computers that are networked together. I am able to see the Power Church shortcut in the shared file and to open it, but it doesn't show any of my data from my computer. I was reading another post that mentioned something about mapping the Power Church programs together. I didn't do that and don't know how to do that. Can you help me?!?!?!?

NeilZ

Re: Networking Help

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:I have two computers that are networked together. I am able to see the Power Church shortcut in the shared file and to open it, but it doesn't show any of my data from my computer. I was reading another post that mentioned something about mapping the Power Church programs together. I didn't do that and don't know how to do that. Can you help me?!?!?!?
It sounds like you installed the program from the CD on both computers. Uninstall the program from the 'client' computer, that is the one without the data, then follow these instructions:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/35/ ... work-drive ,

in item 7 of the article listed in the URL, it talks about the file called Netsetup11.exe, it will be in the INSTALL directory under the PCPLUS11 directory. If you're using v11.55, you'll be looking for the INSTALL directory under the PCPLUS115 directory, and the file would be Netsetup115.exe.

If you're using v11.55 you can find these instructions on page 3 of the manual. If you have any questions please ask.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

I was able to get to #3 on the mapping instructions you sent for PowerChurch, but realized we don't have a server connection. We are sharing through a homegroup connection. There are no cords connecting them, so I am assuming it is done through our wi-fi connection. Does that make a difference? Do I handle this differently? Please, forgive my ignorance.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:I was able to get to #3 on the mapping instructions you sent for PowerChurch, but realized we don't have a server connection. We are sharing through a homegroup connection. There are no cords connecting them, so I am assuming it is done through our wi-fi connection. Does that make a difference? Do I handle this differently? Please, forgive my ignorance.
A network is a network is a network. The SERVER is the computer with the data on it, I'm assuming that's the office computer. This is the computer where you SHARE the C:\Powerchurch\PCPLUS115 directory to the rest of the network.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

I don't have My Network Place or Network Neighborhood. Do I need to download one of these or do I just need to do something under the computers network settings?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:I don't have My Network Place or Network Neighborhood. Do I need to download one of these or do I just need to do something under the computers network settings?
OK .. you're on step 4. You completed the SHARE of the Powerchurch directory from the computer with Data on it?

You should now be on the OTHER computer, that's the client or workstation. In Windows 8 and 10, you open My PC to open the list of local drives. You should have a link underneath that says HOMEGROUP Once you click on the link, you should see the two computers in the Homegroup. Click on the name of the computer with the DATA on it. You will then see the SHARED drive under it.

You should now be able to follow the rest of the instructions listed on the knowledgebase article.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

In step #7, I don't see the driver that I picked for Power Church. What is the next step?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:In step #7, I don't see the driver that I picked for Power Church. What is the next step?
Not driver, DRIVE .. it should be listed as a E: drive or F: drive, G:, H:, etc. , whatever letter you picked in Step 6.

It may be easier to find someone who knows more about Windows to help you set this up. Trying to do this via the forum is not time effective.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

Thank you! I appreciate your time and your patience with me. Have a wonderful day.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:Thank you! I appreciate your time and your patience with me. Have a wonderful day.
Not a problem, I only wish that I was able to do more.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

NeilZ wrote:
ktuttleodbctx wrote:Thank you! I appreciate your time and your patience with me. Have a wonderful day.
Just wanted to let you know that I got the problem resolved, but through it I found an error in the instructions you sent. Step 7 tells you to got back to the desktop or server computer, but you should stay on the client or workstation computer. Thought this would be helpful to know for the future. Thank you again for all your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:
NeilZ wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that I got the problem resolved, but through it I found an error in the instructions you sent. Step 7 tells you to got back to the desktop or server computer, but you should stay on the client or workstation computer. Thought this would be helpful to know for the future. Thank you again for all your help.
Actually, its just telling you to close the dialog you were in, and get back to the desktop of the computer you're on. Now close everything and get back to your desktop. Since you were working on the 'client' or 'workstation' starting at step 4, it is still referring to that
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.