General Question about networking

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ktuttleodbctx

General Question about networking

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

Hello!
Please humor me with the question I am about to ask, because I don't know much about how all this works. I am needing to travel this week, and wanting to work on PowerChurch. I have a desktop version of Power Church (which was started on my desktop computer) that is networked to a laptop. Can I use the PowerChurch on the laptop if I am a 1,000 miles away from my desktop computer?

Thank you for your help with this!

NeilZ

Re: General Question about networking

Post by NeilZ »

ktuttleodbctx wrote:Hello!
Please humor me with the question I am about to ask, because I don't know much about how all this works. I am needing to travel this week, and wanting to work on PowerChurch. I have a desktop version of Power Church (which was started on my desktop computer) that is networked to a laptop. Can I use the PowerChurch on the laptop if I am a 1,000 miles away from my desktop computer?

In a word .. no.

The networking is primarily within your own building's network.

Now, is anyone else going to be working on the 'server' while you're gone? If not, do a backup of the entire database from the desktop 'server', install the program from the Powerchurch install CD on the laptop, then restore the backup to the laptop.

When you get back home, do a backup of the laptop, and restore it to the Desktop 'Server'. Then I would UNINSTALL the entire program from the laptop, then reconnect the laptop to the server by using the NetSetup115.exe method as described in the networking area of the manual.

Of course, you could install something like Log Me In (logmein.com) on the server, then just remote to the desktop. However, that depends on how fast is your internet service at the office, and at the location you're going to be.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ktuttleodbctx

Re: General Question about networking

Post by ktuttleodbctx »

NeilZ wrote:
ktuttleodbctx wrote:Hello!

In a word .. no.

The networking is primarily within your own building's network.

Now, is anyone else going to be working on the 'server' while you're gone? If not, do a backup of the entire database from the desktop 'server', install the program from the Powerchurch install CD on the laptop, then restore the backup to the laptop.

When you get back home, do a backup of the laptop, and restore it to the Desktop 'Server'. Then I would UNINSTALL the entire program from the laptop, then reconnect the laptop to the server by using the NetSetup115.exe method as described in the networking area of the manual.

Of course, you could install something like Log Me In (logmein.com) on the server, then just remote to the desktop. However, that depends on how fast is your internet service at the office, and at the location you're going to be.

Thank you for your help! Have a good day!