Server connection

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

G.Scott

Server connection

Post by G.Scott »

PCP is installed on our server. The server connection is valid because I can see the PCP directory from the satellite finance computer in use.

In attempting open PCP, we're seeing a message from Windows: Error reading file .... \background.app

Checking the PCP directory shows that the file listed above is there. Also, PCP will start normally on the server (used a remote connection for this).

Carried out a new network setup, using the installation file from the PCP directory on the server. No problem there. Still get the same error message.

What does this error mean and how can it be fixed?

NeilZ

Re: Server connection

Post by NeilZ »

G.Scott wrote:PCP is installed on our server. The server connection is valid because I can see the PCP directory from the satellite finance computer in use.

In attempting open PCP, we're seeing a message from Windows: Error reading file .... \background.app

Checking the PCP directory shows that the file listed above is there. Also, PCP will start normally on the server (used a remote connection for this).

Carried out a new network setup, using the installation file from the PCP directory on the server. No problem there. Still get the same error message.

What does this error mean and how can it be fixed?
OK .. by server are you talking about a computer using a Windows Server operating system, or a computer acting as the Powerchurch server?

Did you follow the directions on installing PCPlus for networking using the instructions as found here:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/35/ ... work-drive

If you're using a Windows Server OS, does that directory have any 'local' permissions set on it other than full access to everyone??

You said you created a new network setup using "the installation file from the PCP directory on the server." I'm assuming you mean the Netsetup115.exe file, right ?

FWIW .. I'm suspecting a local permissions issue on the server shared drive.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

G.Scott

Post by G.Scott »

The server is a Dell OptiPlex 780 with two 1 GB drives in a Raid 1 configuration. It is running Windows 10 Pro. It is a mapped drive on the six office machines using it for file sharing. This is not a sophisticated setup, but has been stable and usable for close to 10 years, through both Windows 7 and 10. Probably not applicable to the current issue, but we have Acronis backup software and two external drives that are exchanged weekly, backing up the entire drive contents. This scheme saved our "mustard" about 18 months ago when we got hit with a ransomware virus.

My first suspicion is that a recent Windows upgrade may have upset the file sharing setup. Could be a permission issue, as you say.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

G.Scott wrote:The server is a Dell OptiPlex 780 with two 1 GB drives in a Raid 1 configuration. It is running Windows 10 Pro. It is a mapped drive on the six office machines using it for file sharing. This is not a sophisticated setup, but has been stable and usable for close to 10 years, through both Windows 7 and 10. Probably not applicable to the current issue, but we have Acronis backup software and two external drives that are exchanged weekly, backing up the entire drive contents. This scheme saved our "mustard" about 18 months ago when we got hit with a ransomware virus.

My first suspicion is that a recent Windows upgrade may have upset the file sharing setup. Could be a permission issue, as you say.
OK .. but that didn't answer the question: did you follow the directions as listed in the Knowledgebase Article I linked to above? You have to make sure that the C:\Powerchurch directory is properly shared with ALL Permissions to EVERYONE. Just read and write does not cut it.

Also, if you DID NOT leave the install default to C:\Powerchurch when you installed on that computer, that also causes issues. Do not install to a C:\Program Files (x86) directory.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.