Moving data and setup to new installation

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

HPCsdmiller

Moving data and setup to new installation

Post by HPCsdmiller »

The PC on which we were running PowerChurch Plus 11 died. We had to replace the PC.

I was able copy the PowerChuch directory/folder and sub folders from the old PC’s hard drive. PowerChurch Plus was then installed and updated on the new PC. Unfortunately the data and setup was not attached.

How do I get my data and setup from my old installation to my new installation?

Do I uninstall PowerChurch then use the process I found whereby you copy the PowerChurch folder then run the netsetup11.exe? If so, how do I totally uninstall the existing PowerchurchPlus instance?

Or, is there some other way to load the data and setup into the new installation? Remember, I don’t have a PowerChurch backup, just a copy of the directories.

NeilZ

Re: Moving data and setup to new installation

Post by NeilZ »

HPCsdmiller wrote:The PC on which we were running PowerChurch Plus 11 died. We had to replace the PC.

I was able copy the PowerChuch directory/folder and sub folders from the old PC’s hard drive. PowerChurch Plus was then installed and updated on the new PC. Unfortunately the data and setup was not attached.

How do I get my data and setup from my old installation to my new installation?

Do I uninstall PowerChurch then use the process I found whereby you copy the PowerChurch folder then run the netsetup11.exe? If so, how do I totally uninstall the existing PowerchurchPlus instance?

Or, is there some other way to load the data and setup into the new installation? Remember, I don’t have a PowerChurch backup, just a copy of the directories.
A few questions, since we have no idea how you have Powerchurch setup at your site;

1. Are you running Powerchurch across a network?
2. If so, was this a client computer or the main server?

The reason I ask, is that with v11.1 and v11.55 the DATA dirctory is under the PCPLUS11 or PCPLUS115 directory so you would have picked it up.

If this was a CLIENT computer, then here's the Knowledgebase Article that will assist you starting at Step 4:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/35/ ... work-drive

Now, if this was the main computer, and you still have access to the hard drive, I'd do another copy of the c:\Powerchurch\PCPLUS11 (or 115) directory copying EVERYTHING under that directory. Follow the directions in this Knowledgebase article:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/425 ... to-another

Let us know what your situation is. Then once you're up and running, use this as a learning moment, and start doing PCPLUS backups on a regular basis. You can setup the computer to do these backups for you using the data in this Knowledgebase article on the Task Scheduler:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/438 ... -fall-2014
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

HPCsdmiller

Post by HPCsdmiller »

It was the main computer.

After it failed I was able to take the hard drive out and access of its contents and copied them to a different directory on the new computer. The PCPlus11 directory, all of its sub-directories and contents are now on the new PC.

My issue is another person re-installed PCPlus from the purchased media before I was able to use the process in the "Moving PowerChurch Plus from one computer to another" article. So, now I have PCPlus installed as normal but with no data or setup.

The directories from the old computer have a backup. Just not very current.

So, how do I get the data and setup from the old computer (already in different directories on the new computer) into the new installation on the new computer?

In order to follow the steps in the "Moving PowerChurch Plus ...." article I assume I will need to uninstall PCPlus. How do I do so completely?

Or, is there some other way to merge the data and setup into the new installation without re-installing?

Thanks

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

HPCsdmiller wrote:It was the main computer.

After it failed I was able to take the hard drive out and access of its contents and copied them to a different directory on the new computer. The PCPlus11 directory, all of its sub-directories and contents are now on the new PC.

My issue is another person re-installed PCPlus from the purchased media before I was able to use the process in the "Moving PowerChurch Plus from one computer to another" article. So, now I have PCPlus installed as normal but with no data or setup.

The directories from the old computer have a backup. Just not very current.

So, how do I get the data and setup from the old computer (already in different directories on the new computer) into the new installation on the new computer?

In order to follow the steps in the "Moving PowerChurch Plus ...." article I assume I will need to uninstall PCPlus. How do I do so completely?

Or, is there some other way to merge the data and setup into the new installation without re-installing?

Thanks
My advice ..

1: UNINSTALL the 'added' Powerchurch installation from the main computer using the Windows Programs and Features app in Control Panel.
2: MOVE the directories that you created when you first moved the old installation to the proper Directory levels. Not knowing what you named them when you copied them make sure that they are in the proper directory tree as follows (where 'X' is the drive you're using, and 'xx' is either 11 or 115). Powerchurch expects to find these directories under this tree, as does any client computer.

Proper Directory Tree: x:\Powerchurch\PCPLUSxx\

Under the PCPLUSxx should be all the programs along with the other directories used.

Once that's done, follow the directions in the Knowledgebase article. You should then have access to your data. Again, I STRONGLY advice that you use the Task Scheduler to run a POWERCHURCH backup at least weekly after contributions are done and that backup should be stored on an external hard drive, either attached to the computer or on a network storage unit. Do NOT rely on any full computer backups.

This would allow you to recover much faster.

FWIW ... every church where I've helped to install Powerchurch is setup with an automatic, daily backup of Powerchurch data. It has saved the bacon of a few people who've accidentally deleted members, contribution data, etc. The files really do not take up that much room, typically less than 4 or 5MB, often smaller. A standard 1 TB external drive just for this would last a few years before you had to prune out older backups.

Here's a 1TB drive at Amazon for under $60

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansio ... dpSrc=srch
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.