PC+ v11.55 to v12. Any Lessons Learned?

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TonyL222

PC+ v11.55 to v12. Any Lessons Learned?

Post by TonyL222 »

We are going to upgrade our desktop version from v11.55 to v12.0. For anyone one whose made this upgrade are there any lessons learned you can share? Is it straight forward and painless or did you encounter any "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

Thanks for anything you can share.

NeilZ

Re: PC+ v11.55 to v12. Any Lessons Learned?

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote:We are going to upgrade our desktop version from v11.55 to v12.0. For anyone one whose made this upgrade are there any lessons learned you can share? Is it straight forward and painless or did you encounter any "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

Thanks for anything you can share.
Its fairly straightforward.

No gotchas at all. The main thing is that the upgrade does not touch the previous version database other than reading it. The old data is still there, so you can revert if you need to. I've not found the need.

The only issue is to make sure that if you have the program networked, and being used on a few different computers, that you delete the desktop icon for the 11.55 version so it would not be used. The program WILL give a splash window letting the user know that there is a newer version installed, but it will not stop the user from using 11.55. It figures that if you ignored that warning, you know what you're doing.

The main thing is to look at the NEW features in v12, and understand the changes, such as being able to open a closed month. This definitely helps if you have to void or reverse something in a month previously closed. Now I usually have the max of 18 months open at any time so this normally does not happen to me, but there are some that close a month after a report is issued.

Finally, check the date of the version you install. Powerchurch is very good at sending out the installation CD or compressed file for download, with the most up to date release. This should include all Maintenance Releases to date. However, if you've been sitting on the update for a few weeks, its a good idea to make sure that you do a 'check for updates' after installation.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Re: PC+ v11.55 to v12. Any Lessons Learned?

Post by TonyL222 »

Thanks for your input, Neil!