Convert from Online to Plus

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

LGPC-John

Convert from Online to Plus

Post by LGPC-John »

As users become more "mobile", using Online versus Plus may be more desirable. Is there a practical way to convert from Plus to Online? Possibly send PowerChurch a backup of our Plus system for restoring on their Online/web servers?

NeilZ

Re: Convert from Online to Plus

Post by NeilZ »

LGPC-John wrote:As users become more "mobile", using Online versus Plus may be more desirable. Is there a practical way to convert from Plus to Online? Possibly send PowerChurch a backup of our Plus system for restoring on their Online/web servers?
When you sign up for Online, you will be asked if you're converting from a previous PCPlus standard installation. You'll then be asked to take a Powerchurch backup of your current data, and send it to Powerchurch.

You'll also be asked to stop using the local system as any updates to that system would obviously not be included in the data you sent.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

My Church JUST moved from PC+ (local LAN based) to PC Online. Process is very simple.

As NeilZ said, you send PowerChurch a backup and they build your PC Online environment. However here is what I did.

On Friday Nov 3, I took the backup and sent the files to PC. We kept on using our LAN based PC+ for the next couple of weeks while every user had the opportunity to download and install the IDS client (at work and Home) on PCs and even tablets if desired, log in (which challenged some people), try the web access, get familiar and work out any bugs - all with real data. All the time I advertised the Friday, Nov 16 was our production cutover date.

At the end of day last Friday, Nov 16, I asked the NO ONE access PC+ between 4pm-5pm. At 4pm I created a final backup of LAN PC+ and imported that backup to PC Online. I had our network guy remove the mapping for PC+ and to back it up. At that point no one except a sys admin could access the LAN files and programs. Sent a message to all that PC Online was now production and that PC+ was no more. I'll leave PC+ out there for a week or so - just in case - and then will have it deleted. But as it looks now, everything on PC Online is working just fine.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote: I'll leave PC+ out there for a week or so - just in case - and then will have it deleted. But as it looks now, everything on PC Online is working just fine.
FWIW .. I wouldn't delete it, as having something local you can use to access older backups if necessary, especially if you do a database cleanup every year or so.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

NeilZ wrote:
TonyL222 wrote: I'll leave PC+ out there for a week or so - just in case - and then will have it deleted. But as it looks now, everything on PC Online is working just fine.
FWIW .. I wouldn't delete it, as having something local you can use to access older backups if necessary, especially if you do a database cleanup every year or so.
Thanks, but we are decommissioning the server and storage and moving to the cloud. I could have the PC+ directory moved as well, but I'm not sure how useful it will be after a few weeks of PC Online. Something to think about, though.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote:
NeilZ wrote:
Thanks, but we are decommissioning the server and storage and moving to the cloud. I could have the PC+ directory moved as well, but I'm not sure how useful it will be after a few weeks of PC Online. Something to think about, though.
Tony ...

I'd install the program to a standalone computer, and use it to restore backups if you need to recover data you've previously deleted. Nothing says you have to maintain it on a server, or network.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.