Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby PeteA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:47 am

I want to run PowerChurch on two computers using OneDrive. The only objection I have seen here is that OneDrive is not a good idea because it is "cloud based". But OneDrive can be configured to keep all files on the local computers. Can I just move the PowerChurch Data folder or will I have to move the entire Powerchurch\PCPLUS12?

TIA,
Pete
PeteA
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby NeilZ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm

PeteA wrote:I want to run PowerChurch on two computers using OneDrive. The only objection I have seen here is that OneDrive is not a good idea because it is "cloud based". But OneDrive can be configured to keep all files on the local computers. Can I just move the PowerChurch Data folder or will I have to move the entire Powerchurch\PCPLUS12?

TIA,
Pete


I take it that the computer are not locally networked?

I've not seen anyone try this before, if someone has they have not said anything here on the forum. I would think you would have to do the same type of install you would do if you were to run the program from a network drive.

You can copy the entire \Powerchurch\PCPLUSxx directory tree to one drive, then run the netsetup program from the install directory on each computer you wish to use.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 9109
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby PeteA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm

The two computers are locally networked. Is there an easier way?

TIA,
Pete
PeteA
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby NeilZ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:15 pm

PeteA wrote:The two computers are locally networked. Is there an easier way?

TIA,
Pete


Just use one computer as the server and the other as the 'client'. The other computer will use the database on the 'server', thus doing what you want it to do without having to worry if the internet connection is up or not. This will use the standard Windows networking system.

Follow the directions here:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/477 ... hurch-plus

Normally, the office computer is used as the 'server' as it can remain running 24/7.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 9109
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby PeteA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Thank you for the information and your quick responses.

Pete
PeteA
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Postby Zorak » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:33 am

NeilZ wrote:I've not seen anyone try this before, if someone has they have not said anything here on the forum. I would think you would have to do the same type of install you would do if you were to run the program from a network drive.

You can copy the entire \Powerchurch\PCPLUSxx directory tree to one drive, then run the netsetup program from the install directory on each computer you wish to use.


Sorry to chime in late here! This has come up before, but specifically with Dropbox instead of OneDrive.

Just so there is a warning in this thread - the "sync" apps that run locally with these types of things (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) watching for updates to the shared files are very slow and will eventually corrupt the PowerChurch database, even when there is only one user on one computer accessing and making changes in the software. Bump that up to two or more users working at the same time and it could be corrupted almost instantaneously. Then before you realize what is happening, that corrupted database is then "synced" to all the other computers, corrupting them as well.

The only safe way to use cloud-storage services like this is to share PowerChurch's zip file backups.
Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 8:59 am
Location: PowerChurch Software