Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

PeteA

Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Post by PeteA »

I want to run PowerChurch on two computers using OneDrive. The only objection I have seen here is that OneDrive is not a good idea because it is "cloud based". But OneDrive can be configured to keep all files on the local computers. Can I just move the PowerChurch Data folder or will I have to move the entire Powerchurch\PCPLUS12?

TIA,
Pete

NeilZ

Re: Run PowerChurch from OneDrive

Post by NeilZ »

PeteA wrote:I want to run PowerChurch on two computers using OneDrive. The only objection I have seen here is that OneDrive is not a good idea because it is "cloud based". But OneDrive can be configured to keep all files on the local computers. Can I just move the PowerChurch Data folder or will I have to move the entire Powerchurch\PCPLUS12?

TIA,
Pete
I take it that the computer are not locally networked?

I've not seen anyone try this before, if someone has they have not said anything here on the forum. I would think you would have to do the same type of install you would do if you were to run the program from a network drive.

You can copy the entire \Powerchurch\PCPLUSxx directory tree to one drive, then run the netsetup program from the install directory on each computer you wish to use.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

PeteA

Post by PeteA »

The two computers are locally networked. Is there an easier way?

TIA,
Pete

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

PeteA wrote:The two computers are locally networked. Is there an easier way?

TIA,
Pete
Just use one computer as the server and the other as the 'client'. The other computer will use the database on the 'server', thus doing what you want it to do without having to worry if the internet connection is up or not. This will use the standard Windows networking system.

Follow the directions here:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/477 ... hurch-plus

Normally, the office computer is used as the 'server' as it can remain running 24/7.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

PeteA

Post by PeteA »

Thank you for the information and your quick responses.

Pete

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

NeilZ wrote:I've not seen anyone try this before, if someone has they have not said anything here on the forum. I would think you would have to do the same type of install you would do if you were to run the program from a network drive.

You can copy the entire \Powerchurch\PCPLUSxx directory tree to one drive, then run the netsetup program from the install directory on each computer you wish to use.
Sorry to chime in late here! This has come up before, but specifically with Dropbox instead of OneDrive.

Just so there is a warning in this thread - the "sync" apps that run locally with these types of things (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) watching for updates to the shared files are very slow and will eventually corrupt the PowerChurch database, even when there is only one user on one computer accessing and making changes in the software. Bump that up to two or more users working at the same time and it could be corrupted almost instantaneously. Then before you realize what is happening, that corrupted database is then "synced" to all the other computers, corrupting them as well.

The only safe way to use cloud-storage services like this is to share PowerChurch's zip file backups.