Working from home

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Buffalofoodshelf1

Working from home

Post by Buffalofoodshelf1 »

I will be working remotely for who knows how long (as are many of you). If I take the disk for PCPlus and install it on my computer at home, and then "restore files" from my backup on a thumb drive from the office - will I be set to work from home? And then when we come out on the other side of all of this I can backup what I have at home and "restore files" back at the office?

NeilZ

Re: Working from home

Post by NeilZ »

Buffalofoodshelf1 wrote:I will be working remotely for who knows how long (as are many of you). If I take the disk for PCPlus and install it on my computer at home, and then "restore files" from my backup on a thumb drive from the office - will I be set to work from home? And then when we come out on the other side of all of this I can backup what I have at home and "restore files" back at the office?
Before you do anything, you're going to need the actual Registration Number from the About[/i} link from the HELP menu in the program. Do a FULL backup using the Powerchurch backup utility and save it to removable drive (USB, CD, etc) . install the program on the computer at home, then download the current Maintenance Release for your version, and install that manually. Make sure you have the removable media you used to create the backup ready to go in the computer.

Start the program, it will ask if you're upgrading or a new user. Select the new user, enter the RN number and other info when asked. It will create its database, and (I seem to remember) it will close. Restart the program, then head to the Utility menu and select Backup/Restore. Select restore, and then find the backup media. Let it restore, it will reindex and close. You should be ready to go.

Now ... as long as NO ONE ELSE is doing anything on the computer at the church and making changes to data, you can then do a backup and restore that to the church computer.

However, if people have done changes to other parts of the database; say someone is entering contributions; you will have a problem. If you could give us more info on if that is possible, then these suggestions would change.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Buffalofoodshelf1

Re: Working from home

Post by Buffalofoodshelf1 »

Thanks so much Neil. I am the only one that works in PCPlus so I should be good.