Email Errors after Version 11.5 - 04/13/2020 MR

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

compresby486

Email Errors after Version 11.5 - 04/13/2020 MR

Post by compresby486 »

Is anyone else having problems sending emails since this maintenance release?

The last email I sent was on Monday afternoon, the 13th. I attempted to send one this morning and it generates 107 errors, but I haven't changed anything in the settings. Since I am working from home and backing up at each workstation, I went to the office to use the computer there because I needed to get it sent and I sent the email before I installed the maintenance release or restored my saved backup. The email went through like normal, with no errors. I downloaded and installed the maintenance release on the office computer and now my emails are generating errors there too.

We use PowerChurch Plus 11.55 on a system operating Windows 10. Our emails are sent through our own domain and the email client I use, Thuderbird, has the same exact settings and the emails are working fine there.

Help! Any ideas?
Thanks!
Denise

NeilZ

Re: Email Errors after Version 11.5 - 04/13/2020 MR

Post by NeilZ »

compresby486 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:50 am
Is anyone else having problems sending emails since this maintenance release?

The last email I sent was on Monday afternoon, the 13th. I attempted to send one this morning and it generates 107 errors, but I haven't changed anything in the settings. Since I am working from home and backing up at each workstation, I went to the office to use the computer there because I needed to get it sent and I sent the email before I installed the maintenance release or restored my saved backup. The email went through like normal, with no errors. I downloaded and installed the maintenance release on the office computer and now my emails are generating errors there too.

We use PowerChurch Plus 11.55 on a system operating Windows 10. Our emails are sent through our own domain and the email client I use, Thuderbird, has the same exact settings and the emails are working fine there.

Help! Any ideas?
Thanks!
Denise
It would help to know the exact error message you're seeing. The only email changes was for Google Mail adding the new authentication needed for the changes coming in June at Gmail. Also ... what is your email domain?

Is Thunderbird using SSL/TLS to authenticate?

Again, not knowing the exact message its hard to have any advice.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

OK, hope this helps:

On the system setup options in PowerChurch, I have TLS checked. On Thunderbird we use SSL/TLS. For emails, our server setting are mail.compresby.org and it requires authentication.

If I click on the test button, I immediately get a box that reads: "A successful connection was made", but what used to happen was that I got a box in the top right-hand corner of the screen showing testing...testing...and then this same box would pop up. Today, after the MR, the box pops up right away without actually completing a test.

Any other details I can send you?
Thanks!
Denise

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

I don't know if this info will help, but if I click through to send the email, the message I see shows the status % and disconnecting....disconnecting...then after the status bar reaches 100% I get the message that there were 107 errors. If I pull up the report I can see the body of the email but no email addresses, or info on the actual error. Looking in the contact history, I can see the 3 times I tried to send one this morning and I can see all the email addresses I tried to send it to and they don't show any errors in the error column, but my personal email is listed and I didn't get it and didn't get a copy sent to the church email either.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

compresby486 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:21 pm
OK, hope this helps:

On the system setup options in PowerChurch, I have TLS checked. On Thunderbird we use SSL/TLS. For emails, our server setting are mail.compresby.org and it requires authentication.

If I click on the test button, I immediately get a box that reads: "A successful connection was made", but what used to happen was that I got a box in the top right-hand corner of the screen showing testing...testing...and then this same box would pop up. Today, after the MR, the box pops up right away without actually completing a test.

Any other details I can send you?
Thanks!
Denise
OK ... switch Powerchurch to use SSL, and update the server entry to add 465 as the port number like this

mail.compresby.org:465

See how that works?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

Nope, same issues.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

compresby486 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 pm
Nope, same issues.
What is the exact error message you get on the report? That would help.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

I just tried a test email to staff, which is a small subset of our database.
Here's the message I get:

Completed processing emails. Click report to generate a hard copy of what was sent and to whom.
Please review the 3 errors detected.

I click report and this is what I see:
Bulk email sent status
Under the line it lists the 3 email addresses that were successfully sent to server

There aren't any error codes or messages other than the above "please review the errors detected."
Is there an error log that lists something further?

For what it's worth, I have a friend that uses version 12 and as of yesterday, her program is doing the same thing.

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

OK, just talked to my friend and she has version 11.5, not 12, sorry!

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We have just had a couple of other V11.5 users reporting this same issue. We have a new Maintenance Release that is currently in testing to get this issue resolved.

compresby486

Post by compresby486 »

Awesome, thank you!!! :D

ConnieC

Post by ConnieC »

I have had 330+ out of about 375 emails rejected. The error code for all of them was 550 5.4.5 - "Daily user sending quota exceeded." There was a series of letters and numbers after this but they were different for each group of 5 emails. In the PowerChurch report, the errors were put in groups of 5 emails with no sense of being alphabetized by first name, last name, or email.

I don't know if this was a problem with PowerChurch or with gmail. Gmail has a limit of 500 emails per 24 hour period but I know we didn't have that many to go out. Any other suggestions?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

That message status is directly coming from Gmail. If they are saying the daily sending limit has been reached, that is the only information we have to go on.