OAUTH problems

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

sdevlin

OAUTH problems

Post by sdevlin »

We are trying to send email and need to authorize with Google using OAUTH. I go through the process in the browser and get the message "Verification code received. Thank you" but when I try and test the connection, I am asked to authorize again.

A related question is that we have the database on a file server and several different PCs are used to send email. Does the authorization process need to be performed on every PC that can send email or only once and the authorization is shared.

NeilZ

Re: OAUTH problems

Post by NeilZ »

marshg wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:19 pm
We are trying to send email and need to authorize with Google using OAUTH. I go through the process in the browser and get the message "Verification code received. Thank you" but when I try and test the connection, I am asked to authorize again.

A related question is that we have the database on a file server and several different PCs are used to send email. Does the authorization process need to be performed on every PC that can send email or only once and the authorization is shared.
Do you have the most current MR installed? Did you follow the instructions for use of Gmail/G-Suite before you started? In the PCPlus user guide/help?
If you are already logged in to Gmail on this computer, it is a good idea to log out before proceeding. This will ensure that you authorize the correct e-mail account - the one you will be sending e-mails from in PowerChurch.
I'm fairly sure that you need only use the email setup under the Preferences -> System Setup -> Email tab to cover all users of Powerchurch on a network as the token should be put under the PCPLUSxx directory on the server. (where xx is the version you're using).
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: OAUTH problems

Post by Zorak »

The behavior that you are reporting is indicative of a mismatch in the Gmail accounts. For example, the email setup in PowerChurch is set to use office@gmail.com and when you click the Authorize link and the browser opens, you log in to personal@gmail.com and provide the authorization. Or more likely, you were already logged in to personal@gmail.com, so it didn't require the initial Gmail login page. I'm pretty sure the onscreen documentation during this process lists the email account that you are authorizing. That should show the same email account that you want to send from in PowerChurch.

The OAUTH token is stored in the PowerChurch database on your file server once the authorization has been performed. Any workstation trying to send emails after that will use that saved token.