Networking questions

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

swm

Networking questions

Post by swm »

I got a new computer and having a hard time figuring how to connect three computers to the main Powerchurch computer. When I try to map a drive to the base computer it won’t take what I type in as a password. If the base computer uses a pin instead of a password is that the problem? Do I need to set up a password on that base computer.?

NeilZ

Re: Networking questions

Post by NeilZ »

swm wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm
I got a new computer and having a hard time figuring how to connect three computers to the main Powerchurch computer. When I try to map a drive to the base computer it won’t take what I type in as a password. If the base computer uses a pin instead of a password is that the problem? Do I need to set up a password on that base computer.?
You shouldn't have to do that with standard Windows setup. I suspect that the new computer's at Win10 defaults. Here's the basic instructions:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/477 ... hurch-plus

But I also suspect you may need to go into the Advanced Sharing Settings on the Network and Sharing Center to adjust the settings under 'All Networks'.
and turn off the 'password protected sharing'.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

swm

Post by swm »

In map a drive what password does it want then? I’m been using the computer login pin and it won’t take it. I’ve read the networking page. This shouldn’t be this hard.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

swm wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 pm
In map a drive what password does it want then? I’m been using the computer login pin and it won’t take it. I’ve read the networking page. This shouldn’t be this hard.
If you have that setting setup in the Advanced Sharing Settings on the Network and Sharing Center, then you shouldn't have to add a password. The PC used at the server should be setup the same way.

A few questions:

1. Is the 'server' PC running Windows 10?
2. The user account you're using on the new PC, it is the Windows administrator account, right?
3. The workgroup name on the new PC is the same as the rest of the computers on the network?
4. About being this hard. Its M$ Windows, they are trying to help you by making it 'more secure' even though its on the local network.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

swm

Post by swm »

Yes its windows 10.
Yes I'm using admin account.
Workgroup is the same.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

swm wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:44 pm
Yes its windows 10.
Yes I'm using admin account.
Workgroup is the same.
Is the setting to turn off password sharing set in all the computers?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.