Data Conversion

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NewUser2B

Data Conversion

Post by NewUser2B »

Our church's board just approved a recommendation to migrate to Power Church PLUS.
I've spoken to Tech Support and referred to the website which explains the Data Conversion process that PCP will do for us. What I am concerned about is the turnaround time, and how the newly converted data is to be installed into our new PCP installation.
According to the website and Tech Support both (which incidentally IS consistent :D ) the process entails doing a system backup (of the system that is to be converted) and then a restore of the newly converted data to PCP.
What this means is that our church office operations (that involve the church management system) are to cease until the data conversion is complete.
Is there NOT a process in place for this very thing (migration from one system to another?) that does an ADD of the data to the data files, instead of a REPLACE?
It would make sense to cease entry into the now obsolete church management system the moment we do the backup. While PCP is doing the conversion, we then would be adding data to the NEW PCP system. And when the converted data files are received back from PCP, there would be an option that would do just what an "initial load" of data files would be...ADD the records.
Any ideas? I just can't see it as a feesable option to go totally "manual" for a two week period....

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

We do ask for 2 weeks to complete a data conversion, but sometimes it doesn't take that long. However, if you have checks to write or things like that, you could probably continue doing that in your old system, then when you get your PowerChurch data back from us, you could just enter those transactions as manual checks in PowerChurch. Hopefully, that wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. You'd have a week or two of overlap in the two systems, but that may also allow you to double-check your entries into PowerChurch to make sure you're doing it correctly.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/