Running updates from our various laptops

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Running updates from our various laptops

Post by John Dykema »

Were using v12.2 12/29/21, Win 10 pro
1. Haven't checked this out but if I do a maintenance update from my desktop or any of our laptops, does it update the server machine as well?
2. Will each laptop still need to be updated too as well? I'm thinking that when someone runs the update I don't see it having to be done on my machine as well. Do I have that right?

3. I'm very skeptical about running updates although I'm well aware that those are very important, and always do them. Our problem is that frequently after I run the update I find out on Sunday morning that our two CheckIn laptops cannot either connect to the server, or If I do get in it cant find the people that are in PC+. That's not a good start. We switch to the pencil method at that point.
In the last 6 months (approx) we've had to make 2 paid help desk calls to solve the problem. Your technical people are very helpful and the last time the lady showed me how to stop and start the "Service" which then fixed the last problem we had. She said I can also do a reboot on the server to accomplish the same thing.
Please advise.
John D.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Running updates from our various laptops

Post by Zorak »

Installing the MR update from one of the workstations will update the main installation on the server. All other workstations will be updated automatically the next time they open PowerChurch.

The specific issue with the Check in Server/Service is related. When you run the Maintenance Release installer, it looks to see if the Check In Service is running on this machine. If it is, the installer asks if it can shut down the Check In Service temporarily to install the update. When installing the update from one of the workstations, the program is actually running on that workstation, so it doesn't see the Check In Service and therefore doesn't shut it down during the installation.

I have just recently learned about this problem myself. I'm not sure at the moment what steps can be taken other than as you mentioned, restarting the Check In Service after an MR update or just always installing the update directly on the server.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Zorak, This is great information. I think for simplest steps here will be that I tell our people not to run the updates on their laptops but only the person who sits at our Server machine. Thanks much.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Hi, As in my #3, above, I'm a bit skiddish about running maintenance updates. Yesterday we ran the update at our server machine.
We got the following error:
"Download validation failed with the following:
We were unable to find that version registered for this church"

Please advise. Is there something we must do?
John

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I just ran through the MR validation form on the website with your church's information and it gave me the download link. It may have been a temporary thing on the website. The registration database is updated on the website every hour, so there is a potential for this type of thing to happen a few seconds out of each hour as that update is happening.