Need help rebuilding data after server crash

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Sysboss

Need help rebuilding data after server crash

Post by Sysboss »

I have recently taken over as network administrator and was left a mess. No backups, archives, even manuals are gone! Previous admin was running Windows 2000 SBS and Server 2003 together, SBS server physically crashed recently. I was able to copy all Powerchurch files from the old server through a parallel installation but am unable to use the software to do a data backup. I have reinstalled PowerChurch9 on Windows Server 2003 and need to know which files to manually replace so my users can access their data. Thank you so much for any assistance!
Faith Lutheran Church
Marietta, GA

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

If you run the netsetup9.exe located in the PCPLUS9 directory, that should install the necessary system files, and it should run properly. You can then make a backup and restore that into your new install.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

Sysboss

Post by Sysboss »

The registry is mush and executable files will not run on the old SBS server.
Faith Lutheran Church
Marietta, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Sysboss wrote:The registry is mush and executable files will not run on the old SBS server.
I take it that no Powerchurch Backups are available or offsite ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Re: Need help rebuilding data after server crash

Post by jeffkoke »

Sysboss wrote:I have recently taken over as network administrator and was left a mess. No backups, archives, even manuals are gone! Previous admin was running Windows 2000 SBS and Server 2003 together, SBS server physically crashed recently. I was able to copy all Powerchurch files from the old server through a parallel installation but am unable to use the software to do a data backup. I have reinstalled PowerChurch9 on Windows Server 2003 and need to know which files to manually replace so my users can access their data. Thank you so much for any assistance!
Sysboss,

PowerChurch has its own backup mechanism completely separate of anything that might be on the server.

If you log onto one of your client PCs, run netsetup9 (as already suggested), you should be able to access the data on your server.

Once that connection is made, using PowerChurch, backup all of the data files to another drive share or to a USB memory stick.

Make sense?

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

texas319

Post by texas319 »

if you are able to recover any thing such as the programs folder snatch the data folder out and place it in to the new insallation. if not you may have to start from scracth and in a good way that would be best to give you the chance to set it up correctly.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

texas319 wrote:if you are able to recover any thing such as the programs folder snatch the data folder out and place it in to the new insallation. if not you may have to start from scracth and in a good way that would be best to give you the chance to set it up correctly.
Snatching the DATA folder is not always a good thing. There are files that are updated that are not in the DATA folder, and just moving the data folder can cause things to get out of sync.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

texas319

Post by texas319 »

NeilZ wrote:
texas319 wrote:if you are able to recover any thing such as the programs folder snatch the data folder out and place it in to the new insallation. if not you may have to start from scracth and in a good way that would be best to give you the chance to set it up correctly.
Snatching the DATA folder is not always a good thing. There are files that are updated that are not in the DATA folder, and just moving the data folder can cause things to get out of sync.

we had a similar situation where the data was corrupt and the server crashed we recovered the data folder. once the server was back up we re intalled powerchurch then copied data folder in to the new install. verififed data then uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh PC+ then applied the back up and we were back up.

As for the initial snactch and paste of the data folder allowed them to function 3-5 days before i backed up and reinstalled.

i am noticing different networks/churches differnt practices

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Copying the Data folder only will not bring over any custom reports that have been written anywhere in the software, as well as custom check layouts, custom mailing label layouts, tax form alignments, etc.

To get *everything* you would need to copy any files from the program directory that start with the letters "QM_", also the "Layouts" folder and the "Rpt_cust" folder.