Upgrading computer from Windows 98 to XP

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

larry648

Upgrading computer from Windows 98 to XP

Post by larry648 »

I'm getting ready to upgrade my pc from Windows 98 to XP. I've checked to make sure the pc has adequate memory and processor speed to handle Win XP. I'm running PC V9. Will PowerChurch software handle this upgrade without doing a full image backup and reinstallation of the software? What pre-upgrade procedures to do recommend?

Thank you,
Larry

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

Always, Always, Always make a full data backup of PC before you make a any change to your operating system. Remember you are working with Microsoft here. If all goes as it advertised you will be fine, but if it doesn't - need I say more.
Tom

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We have often seen the program not re-registered properly after a Windows upgrade. You would expect to see a Visual FoxPro error when trying to run PC+ after the upgrade. This is easily fixed by running Netsetup9.exe locally. It is located in the program directory.

Agreeing with tborgal, always make a backup (or two)!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

As was mentioned a good backup is key:

Here are the steps if this is the 'Server' machine, that is, where the main Powerchurch data files are kept. And you DON'T want to do a 'Image Backup'. While it will work, these steps can be much easier.

1. Do a Powerchurch Backup using the Backup Utility to floppy or CD, or networked drive.
2. Upgrade Windows to XP.
3. Make sure all the service packs have been installed.
4. Open Powerchurch. See what happens. If everything is OK, you're good to go. if not:
5. Reinstall Powerchurch. I've done it two ways and it worked both times, go figure. The first time I reinstalled from the original CD then added the Maintenance Release. The second time I just installed the Maintenance Release.

My guess is that everything was re-registered when I did the MR. Also, make sure that the Powerchurch directory is SHARED to ALL under WinXP. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, or else the clients will have a problem. Its also good to re-run Netsetup9 on all the clients to make sure that they have the path to the 'Server' setup properly.

However, if this is a 'Client' machine, then as Zorak said, just run Netsetup9. You may have to reconnect to the Powerchurch directory on the server before you do this.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.