Networking Powerchurch

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

emellesee

Networking Powerchurch

Post by emellesee »

At the moment, PowerChurch is installed on my (the secretary/bookkeeper/queen of chaos management) computer. We have multiple users set up so that the tellers use my computer on Sunday's to enter the contributions, etc. Our pastor also has a copy of PowerChurch installed on his laptop. He uses his copy just for the sermon filer function.

What I'd like to do now is set it up so that the pastor can access the main database on my computer (we are already networked) so that he can make use of the visitation module. We're both running Windows XP. Is it as simple as changing the "sharing" permission on the folder where the database is stored or is there more to it than that? Is there a way for him to choose which database he wants to use (ie. the sermons he has stored on his computer or the main database on mine)?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

ML

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Hi there,

This document should tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/answ ... icle_id=33

Yes, you are going to share the program directory, with permissions to change files. Map a network drive from the laptop to this shared directory. Then run the netsetup.exe (or netsetup9.exe) program to complete the install.

This will put the shortcut on the desktop and install everything locally that is needed on the laptop.

Hope this helps

NeilZ

Re: Networking Powerchurch

Post by NeilZ »

emellesee wrote:Is it as simple as changing the "sharing" permission on the folder where the database is stored or is there more to it than that?

The file that Zorak referenced will cover all that, but you will have to setup the Powerchurch directory on your machine to allow users full access (read,write, change, etc). The security module in Powerchurch will do the rest
emellesee wrote:Is there a way for him to choose which database he wants to use (ie. the sermons he has stored on his computer or the main database on mine)?

ML
There are two things you can do:

1. When he runs the Netsetup9 installation, have it install in a different directory then where he currently has Powerchurch. Then he can access either set of files. However, that can be confusing.

2. What I suggest is this:
a) do a backup of the Record Keeping database from his machine. You can do this thru the Backup Utility. Remember, only select the Record Keeping files from the backup file areas listed in the Backup dialog.

b) restore that backup to YOUR machine, this way you have all that data stored in one place, and this way when you do FULL backups (you do full backups right ??), you can cover all the data at once.

c) using Add/Remove Programs, have him REMOVE the Powerchurch install on his machine.

d) then have him CONNECT to the shared Powerchurch directory on your machine, and run the Netsetup9 install.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.