Runtime installation

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

fbcsequim

Runtime installation

Post by fbcsequim »

We have PC 12.2+ on one Windows 10 computer (functioning as a server for this purpose). The other Windows 10 computers on the network run PC by having "PowerChurch Plus 12 Runtime Files" and "PowerChurch Plus 12 Chilkat ActiveX 9.5.0.52" installed (showing in Control Panel, Programs and Features). This weekend I had to reinstall Windows 10 on one of the computers and now have to put the PC runtime apps back on it. The person who setup this network is long gone. How do I install the runtime appls back on this computer.

NeilZ

Re: Runtime installation

Post by NeilZ »

fbcsequim wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:54 pm
We have PC 12.2+ on one Windows 10 computer (functioning as a server for this purpose). The other Windows 10 computers on the network run PC by having "PowerChurch Plus 12 Runtime Files" and "PowerChurch Plus 12 Chilkat ActiveX 9.5.0.52" installed (showing in Control Panel, Programs and Features). This weekend I had to reinstall Windows 10 on one of the computers and now have to put the PC runtime apps back on it. The person who setup this network is long gone. How do I install the runtime appls back on this computer.
Follow the directions in the User Guide to setup networking on 'client' computers, this will guide you through the setup.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

fbcsequim

Post by fbcsequim »

NeilZ - Thanks for the answer. We don't have a User Guide, but it got me looking and I found a PC 12+ paper manual on the shelf here. There is indeed a section on Network Installation and it's clear on what I need to do to get the runtime software on the "client".

This leads me to a related question, however. The manual says the "client" must access the "server" through a mapped drive and not using a UNC path. However, the way someone set up all our "clients" is using a UNC path and it has worked just fine this way for several years. So what's the problem with using a UNC path if it works fine that way?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fbcsequim wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:14 pm
NeilZ - Thanks for the answer. We don't have a User Guide, but it got me looking and I found a PC 12+ paper manual on the shelf here. There is indeed a section on Network Installation and it's clear on what I need to do to get the runtime software on the "client".

This leads me to a related question, however. The manual says the "client" must access the "server" through a mapped drive and not using a UNC path. However, the way someone set up all our "clients" is using a UNC path and it has worked just fine this way for several years. So what's the problem with using a UNC path if it works fine that way?
Actually, there is a PDF version of the User Guide in the \Powerchurch\PCPLUS12 directory on the server.. look for PCPLUS12.pdf

As far as the networking, it was setup to use the easiest method for less computer savvy users. If you can create a UNC path from the client to the server, then run the netsetup12.exe program found in the install directory using the path, the program will connect the client in using that method.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

fbcsequim

Post by fbcsequim »

OK, thanks for your help.