Backup/Import/Upgrade???

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jaywill

Backup/Import/Upgrade???

Post by jaywill »

I will put this in the general box since I'm new here and have done "something" wrong. I have a new server running 2000 AD. I installed 8.5 and then the latest maintenance upgrade. The old server is running NT4 with PCP 8.5 (no maintenance upgrade). I perform an export to disk and an import to the new server. All data appear to be there, but no one can save contributions. [Error: Program_E / Line 729 / Error 111 / Message cannot update Cursor] I have a feeling it's a problem with the .MDW file and permission, since if I was to attempt a reindex, I get an error stating that access is denied. No other apps exist on the new server thus far. Any suggestions?

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zeb »

can not update the cursor means the file is seen as read-only, either by permissions or the actual attributes of the file are read-only. Here are some links. Here is also an additional link on the proper setup for networking.

More then likely it is a permissions problem, I would take a look at that first.

I believe also that an *.mdw is a MS access database type file, PowerChurch uses MS Visual Foxpro tables

jaywill

Post by jaywill »

:( There appears to be more problems. What is the correct procedure for moving data from one server to another? I ask because the Backup/Restore does not appear to be working. I am able to add contributions now because I copied the cotrans.dbf file from the old server to the new. Now, I can't reindex either database or post. Receive error of "open structural.cdx not found" when reindexing and "Program:copost/Line 21/Error 52 /Message:No table is open in the current work area. " when attempting to post. I want to start over with transferring of data between servers, but I need to know the correct procedure. Please help.

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zeb »

If you copy the whole program folder from one computer to another, and then run netsetup on the new computer, that is all you need to do.

Don't copy individual files, that will cause problems like you already experienced.

jaywill

Post by jaywill »

I performed the above steps ... When I attempt to do Reindexing, it gives me the structural.cdx not found error ...

jaywill

Post by jaywill »

I performed the above steps ... When I attempt to do Reindexing, it gives me the structural.cdx not found error ...

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Something didn't get transferred properly. You may need to call in and have a technician walk you through some steps to rebuild that index file.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

When I moved the system from one machine to a server running Win2K server, I found the best way to move it was to install PowerChurch Plus from scratch on the new machine, install any maintenance releases to insure that it matches the level of the old machine, do a complete backup from the old machine, and load it to the new machine.

Sure you need to go through a new installation procedure when you install on the new machine, but since the backup overlays all that data anyway, after you enter your registration number, you can just enter one word (or letter) entries so you can then get past the setup to do the restore.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

You're exactly right, NeilZ, that's how it should be done.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/