Multiple users on server = very slow

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

SaintAndrews

Multiple users on server = very slow

Post by SaintAndrews »

We have PC10, with latest Maintenance Release, installed on a Win2003 server. All the clients are mapped to a network drive P: = \\server\powerchurch, and run a mapped drive icon P:\pcplus10.exe.

When only one user has any data dialog open, all is fine. Data dialogs such as Maintain Personal Profile and it's Locate dialog take 1 to 2 seconds to open. But if another user has any data dialog open, even an un-related module, both users experience long delays in opening a dialog, like 55 seconds.

I looked at the server's open files list, and notice that any data dialog seems to open all the database files with write+read access, even if not authorized for that module in PC+. For instance, when I open Maintain Personal Profiles, the server shows that I have Write+Read open access on CO*.* and AR*.* even though I don't have access to the Contributions or Accounts Receivables modules.

I suspect this is causing the inordinately long dialog opening delays: opening and locking all database files, instead of those actually in use.
This "slow dialog problem" has been happening at least as long as we have had V10 installed. I don't recall the issue with V9.

Any help on improving this problem would be most appreciated!

Thank you,
Kurt Lutterman

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Out of curiosity, how many Personal Profiles do you have in the system?

What OS are the workstations running?

Have you disabled network scanning in the antivirus software on the workstations?

SaintAndrews

Post by SaintAndrews »

We have 13 profiles (including the System Admin). All the workstations are running Win XP Pro SP2. No, I have not tried disabling real-time virus scanning. It's an important security measure here.

Thanks!
Kurt

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

KurtL wrote:No, I have not tried disabling real-time virus scanning. It's an important security measure here.
We don't suggest disabling anti-virus scanning altogether... Just let each machine scan itself, rather than having each machine also scan each machine on the network. There should be an easy to find option to "disable network scanning" on each workstation.

SaintAndrews

Post by SaintAndrews »

I disabled the real-time scanning for all files opened by PCPLUS10.EXE (rather than all network files), and that seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help!
Kurt

mikesg

Post by mikesg »

FYI, scanning network drives from clients will eventually get you. It's a no-no and performance will suffer in more than one area. The server should have it's own AV protection.
Mike