Printing Issues

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CorinthBC

Printing Issues

Post by CorinthBC »

No matter how I set the print dialog, my printer is duplex printing checks front and back.
I manually went into the print setup, changed it to not duplex. Double checked it to be sure the setting held, then I triple checked it for good measure.

And it still printed six checks back-to-back on three sheets of paper!
I had to go back and re-print each check individually.

Is there some universal setting for print preferences in the software that is over-riding the setting I'm entering for a specific print job?
Am I always going to have to print just one check at a time?

CorinthBC

Re: Printing Issues

Post by CorinthBC »

Unlisted YouTube video showing what is happening...

https://youtu.be/G9z_T4fVXqY

CorinthBC

Post by CorinthBC »

I have pursued this further and discovered the following:
PowerChurch ALWAYS prints checks based on the default setup for duplexing as set overall for Windows 11.

I went into Windows 11 settings, set duplex to OFF there (so OFF would be the default for every program using the printer). I then restarted my computer, returned to PowerChurch, did another test, and yes, it will finally print checks one sheet at a time.

Now, to be clear, I have tested and found out that I can over-ride the default printer settings for duplexing when printing a balance sheet in PowerChurch or (in theory) any other report, but PowerChurch does NOT acknowledge when I over-ride the default printer settings for duplexing when printing checks.

Hopefully someone who programs PowerChurch will see this and correct this flaw in a future program update.

My printer is a Copystar/Kyocera model CS3253ci

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CorinthBC wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:34 pm
I have pursued this further and discovered the following:
PowerChurch ALWAYS prints checks based on the default setup for duplexing as set overall for Windows 11.

I went into Windows 11 settings, set duplex to OFF there (so OFF would be the default for every program using the printer). I then restarted my computer, returned to PowerChurch, did another test, and yes, it will finally print checks one sheet at a time.

Now, to be clear, I have tested and found out that I can over-ride the default printer settings for duplexing when printing a balance sheet in PowerChurch or (in theory) any other report, but PowerChurch does NOT acknowledge when I over-ride the default printer settings for duplexing when printing checks.

Hopefully someone who programs PowerChurch will see this and correct this flaw in a future program update.

My printer is a Copystar/Kyocera model CS3253ci
I believe, it has always been the case that Powerchurch will use the default Windows printer settings. I also believe that reports are created using a third-party reporting component, that can override printer settings, but check printing does not use that component, and thus relies on the Windows settings.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CorinthBC

Post by CorinthBC »

NeilZ wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:51 pm
I believe, it has always been the case that Powerchurch will use the default Windows printer settings. I also believe that reports are created using a third-party reporting component, that can override printer settings, but check printing does not use that component, and thus relies on the Windows settings.
When I asked earlier about the Custom Check Layouts and noted I could not select the printer I wanted to use, Zorak replied that when printing checks for real, I could select the printer AND "the print dialog will also allow you to dive into the printer settings." This is clearly not the case. (I mean, yeah, I can dive into them, but my preferences I select falsely appear to be set when in fact they are being ignored.)

This is some pretty basic stuff that any professional software should be able to do.

Having to adjust print defaults that affect every other program I print from (Word, Excel, basic emails I need to print out, invoices, credit cards receipts, etc.) just to accommodate the peculiarities of PowerChurch is disappointing.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CorinthBC wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:58 pm
NeilZ wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:51 pm
When I asked earlier about the Custom Check Layouts and noted I could not select the printer I wanted to use, Zorak replied that when printing checks for real, I could select the printer AND "the print dialog will also allow you to dive into the printer settings." This is clearly not the case. (I mean, yeah, I can dive into them, but my preferences I select falsely appear to be set when in fact they are being ignored.)

This is some pretty basic stuff that any professional software should be able to do.

Having to adjust print defaults that affect every other program I print from (Word, Excel, basic emails I need to print out, invoices, credit cards receipts, etc.) just to accommodate the peculiarities of PowerChurch is disappointing.
I've not had issues, as I've always kept my Windows default as no duplex, and only changed that when I needed that. That said, I just tested, and when the default is set to no duplex, there is no issue as is to be expected. However, when the default is changed to duplex, your results are confirmed, Windows ignores the changes from Powerchurch.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

As Neil stated, it seems to be a Windows issue, since the option works in PowerChurch depending on what is set as default in the Windows Print Properties/Preferences.

I am writing up a bug report about it, but that's my assumption as to what's happening.