Your views . . .

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

If you had it to do all over again, would you choose PowerChurch + as your church membership software?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:04 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Possibly
No votes

Total votes: 7

RLM

Your views . . .

Post by RLM »

Hi,

I am Richard & I would like some feedback from users of PC+.

I recently was installed as Pastoral Support of a very small church in rural Iowa. Along with those responsibilities I was handed some church management software (can I say it? MP+) of which I have had nothing but problems!

I have received a demo copy of PowerChurch+ and would like feedback from users of this software before I purchase it. I would like to know if you really like it, or if you feel that you would make a different decision if you had the opportunity to do it over. Private messages are o.k. if you would rather not post to this board.

I must say that to this point, after viewing the demo, I am impressed. But I would like your thoughts.
In Him,

RLM

NeilZ

Re: Your views . . .

Post by NeilZ »

RLM wrote:Hi,

I am Richard & I would like some feedback from users of PC+.

I recently was installed as Pastoral Support of a very small church in rural Iowa. Along with those responsibilities I was handed some church management software (can I say it? MP+) of which I have had nothing but problems!

I have received a demo copy of PowerChurch+ and would like feedback from users of this software before I purchase it. I would like to know if you really like it, or if you feel that you would make a different decision if you had the opportunity to do it over. Private messages are o.k. if you would rather not post to this board.

I must say that to this point, after viewing the demo, I am impressed. But I would like your thoughts.
In 1999, my wife joined APC, in 2000 I did also. At that time the membership system consisted of a locally created Access database. The contributions were kept in a different database completely. Needless to say, my wife got mail from the contributions database at our new address, I got mail at our old address which came from the membership database.

As members of the stewardship committee, we realized that as the church was growing, this sort of situation would never do. We were tasked to evaluate all the church management software on the market. Granted, our requirements may have been different than yours, but we looked at everything from $2500 - 4000 packages, to a $79 package.

Some background info on us: I'm a computer programmer (geek), and my wife has done programming, project management, and currently is an certifiied evaluator for CMMI. We knew how to evaluate software, and we rated each package according to ease-of-use, functionality and fullfillment of need (what the church needed).

It came down to the $2500 package and Powerchurch. Guess which one we picked, and fully intend to stay with. As they have been adding new, requested features each and every release.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

foxygramps

Post by foxygramps »

Been using PC+ for membership & contributions ever since Ver 4. Have purchased every new version as it was released, and am anxiously waiting for ver 9. About 8-10 years ago, went to a Christian Computing magazine expo in Kansas City. Brought back evaluation copies of 5 or 6 different church management software. Looked all of them over after I got home, and tossed them all. They were either modular, where you purchased seperate modules, that were supposed to work together, but didn't, or cost a lot more for what they gave you.
I had checked out the early version of the LCMS software pkg., that was put together with several other Church bodies. Did not like it at all, as the major focus seemed to be to prepare reports to be sent to the higher church body. I did not like the latest version, (Shepherds Staff) (?), either, as I thought PC+ was a much better integrated pkg.
We started using the accounting part of PC+ last year. The bookkeeper did not set it up to give me the detailed level of reports that I desired for my job as Dir. of Property management. ( read that as trustee), but I am starting to run another copy here at home, set up with the details I want.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Richard,

One definite thing to keep in mind is that the IRS requires all non-profit/churches to use a double-entry accounting system. PowerChurch fills this bill quite nicely.

While the program is quite complex functionally, it is user friendly (yes, I dislike that phrase, too...but it fits).

The technical support is top notch and as another person has indicated, they take end-user feedback seriously.

I have been in the software engineering world for the past 20 years and understand both the user's needs and the design hurdles of a program. After having reviewed multiple products, I settled on PowerChurch and intend to stay with them.

My $.07 worth,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

schwabl

Post by schwabl »

:D My name is Larry Schwab, and I am the treasurer for a mid sized Methodist Church. I installed PCP 8.5 just after our fiscal year started in 2003. After the initial shock of the look of the package, I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the set-up was, and how hard the tech. support people worked to help with my questions. You cannot imagine how many different church programs that I tried before finding Power Church Plus. It is far and away the easiest to use program of the lot. I was able to train my counters, and the membership team to use the program, usually in one lesson. So, my advice is give it a try, I am sure that you will be pleased.
Living is Serving, Larry

Linda Stepanek

Post by Linda Stepanek »

I work for a small Catholic Diocese in western South Dakota. In 1999-2000 we started the process of evaluating software and beginning to have all of our parishes use the same software and chart of accounts. After evaluating many we choose PowerChurch Plus. All of our parishes are using the software and they call us for most of their support issues. It takes about six months for the bookkeepers to get used to a double-entry accounting system and to understand and use if efficiently. We have been very pleased with the results of the process and don't plan to change systems. I look forward to each new version.

RLM

Thank you all!

Post by RLM »

I want to let you all know how much I appreciate your posting to my inquiry regarding your experience with PowerChurch Plus software.

I have purchased & received the software and "I am extremely happy with it!"

I have a LOT to learn, especially when it comes to the Accounting module because I know absolutely nothing about keeping financial records - but I am going to learn.

Thanks so much for your support!

Richard L. McCulley
New Sharon, IA
In Him,

RLM

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Richard,

Wise decision (IMHO)!

As far as accounting is concerned, you may want to investigate a class offered by your local community college or see if they offer a certificate program that would familarize you with generally accepted accounting practices.

The key to the financial side of PowerChurch is understanding the chart of accounts (the heart of that system).

Plus, you have this forum (and tech support) to ask questions.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."