using backup & restore to transfer files.

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

foxygramps

using backup & restore to transfer files.

Post by foxygramps »

We currently have one computer using ver 8, used for membership and contributions data in the church office. I have recently upgraded that computer to version 8.5.
We have a second computer located in a limited acccess workroom, that is used solely for accounting files in version 8.5. Both are stand alone.
Contributions totals are passed on paper to the bookkeeper.

I now want to add the accounting files to the first computer, so that I can track the expenses that I, as Director of Property Management are responsible for. The second computer will continue to be the primary bookkeeping computer.
Using backup and restore, which data files can I safely transfer from the bookkeeping computer to the office computer.
I know that some of the files are interrelated. Can I safely restore the accounting files to the office computer, without affecting the membership and contribution data on it?

I think many of us would find it useful to know the inter relationships between all of the files.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Here's a quick rule of thumb:
  • Contributions relies on the envelope number which is store in Personal Profiles - an envelope number is required for Contributions to work.
  • In Maintain List of Contribution Funds, you can specify default debit and credit accounts so Contributions can be transferred automatically to Fund Accounting - this is not mandatory.
  • All of the accounting modules (AR, AP, PR) filter in to Fund Accounting, and default db/cr accounts are set up in each module.
To answer your question, you should be able to make an Accounting backup and restore those files to the new computer without any trouble. You may have to change Contribution fund default accounts, but it sounds like you aren't using that, so it shouldn't be an issue.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/