Dual Monitors

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

camd

Dual Monitors

Post by camd »

I'm not sure how important this is for any ther users, but I would like PowerChurch to be better setup for dual monitors. It would be great if the "Quick Menus" and reports could be dragged out of the PC window onto a second monitor. This would allow me to view multiple reports at a time without having to print everything out.

Thanks.
camd.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

All of our programmers use dual monitors and it is a time saver. Unfortunately, you can't drag the quick menus or reports outside of the PowerChurch Plus window. If you were to expand the PowerChurch window over both monitors it should work though.

A new feature in version 9 is that the program will no longer maximize on startup. It will return to the size and location from when you closed it. Also the quick menus and forms will reopen to the place where you last closed them. You can also specify which quick menus to open at startup.

camd

Post by camd »

Jeff wrote:All of our programmers use dual monitors and it is a time saver. Unfortunately, you can't drag the quick menus or reports outside of the PowerChurch Plus window. If you were to expand the PowerChurch window over both monitors it should work though.

A new feature in version 9 is that the program will no longer maximize on startup. It will return to the size and location from when you closed it. Also the quick menus and forms will reopen to the place where you last closed them. You can also specify which quick menus to open at startup.
Expanding PC over two monitors means that I cannot view PC on one monitor and another program on another. It's only when comparing reports that I need to temporarily drag one report or menu outside the PC window. Not a big deal. I don't think I know of any other program that allows you to move the working document outside the program winow. Moving the menus outside the window would be great, though.

I like the improvements you listed!
camd.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

I just wanted to let you know we have been experimenting with letting quick menus go outside of the main PowerChurch window. The problem we are having is determing if the window can be seen on the monitor. We are storing the window position in a table, when you bring up a form, we lookup in that table where it was last located using your login name.

The problem would be if you then logged into someone else's machine that didn't have dual monitors, the quick menu would appear off of the screen and there would be now way to move the quick menu to where it would be visible. We don't have this problem when the quick menu is in the PC+ window because we make sure the quick menu is visible in our window.

We are doing the same thing with the main PC+ window but the position is being stored in the local registry so you don't have this issue when you go to another machine.

camd

Post by camd »

Jeff wrote:The problem would be if you then logged into someone else's machine that didn't have dual monitors, the quick menu would appear off of the screen and there would be now way to move the quick menu to where it would be visible. We don't have this problem when the quick menu is in the PC+ window because we make sure the quick menu is visible in our window.

We are doing the same thing with the main PC+ window but the position is being stored in the local registry so you don't have this issue when you go to another machine.
This is the same issue when I have with other software. When I log onto a dual monitor computer with pcAnywhere (which can only view the remote computer's primary monitor), I can't see the palettes on the second monitor.

Can you include a "reset menu position" command that will reset menus to default positions inside the PC+ window? This would mean that the next time you log onto the dual monitor computer you would have to reset your menu layout again, but at least it give you the option to switch between dual and single monitor setups.

camd.