Mandrake Linux

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

paulbates

Mandrake Linux

Post by paulbates »

Hi
We have PC+7 and have been a Powerchurch user under Windows for a number of years. We are setting up linux workstations and a linux server. Trying to get Powerchurch to run and I want to validate or get advice on running PC+ 7. I know PC doesn't support this config, but I have questions hopfully that can be answered.
  • * I put in the PC+ 7 Install CD and ran WINE setup.exe
    * WINE ran the installer, but the installer caused an error when trying to install
    * So, I want to know if I should copy an installed image of PC7 to the Linux workstation, and WINE pc7.exe?
    * Will NFS shares work on the dbf files and indexe to a linux server, or use SAMBA on both sides? PC pluse needs a drive letter on a pc
Any advise or help is appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

[/list]

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

You're right, that's not something we support, but I can share my personal experience:

I tried to install PowerChurch 8.5 under SuSE Linux, and had pretty much the same result. WINE ran the installer with almost no problems (I had to fix some font weirdness), and when I looked at my fake windows directory, all the files had been installed properly. I couldn't get the application itself to run, and just sort of gave up on it since I was just playing around at home.

I know there are several people who are using Linux as their PowerChurch server. A couple of board regulars have either Linux or BSD servers and may be more qualified to give you a decent answer.

The underlying technology for PowerChurch is FoxPro. Version 7 of PowerChurch was written using FoxPro 3. Version 8 and 8.5 were written using FoxPro 6. I've seen lots of talk about Fox on Linux, so I'm sure there are some articles out there that may be of use.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Paul,

I am running a FreeBSD server with PCv8.5.

Currently, I'm running M$ XP Pro on all but one of my workstations (the other is running Win2k Pro). I've not tried running WINE in a production environment, since IMHO, it is not ready for prime time. I will confess that I've not checked WINE out in a while, so perhaps it has progressed.

Here's what I did to install PC+:
1. Logged into a workstation as administrator (with Unix root equivalence)
2. Mapped the drive on which PC+ will reside
3. Installed PC+ from the CD onto the J:\ drive
4. Ran netsetup on every workstation, I have about 10 of them.
5. Tested PowerChurch user's (non-admin) access

I'm interested in moving to a non-M$ client platform in the near future. Right now I'm facing some resistance and realize that I need to be able to demonstrate the capability.

If/when you achieve a work-able solution, I hope you will share it with the PC+ community.

My $.07 worth...ymmv,

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."