Initializing the Report Preview

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

pwlong

Initializing the Report Preview

Post by pwlong »

We are on the latest release of PC 11. When I try to run any PC standard report (output to the screen), I get the message "Initializing the report preview" and the PC waits forever. The computer runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and contains the main PC data base. Interestingly, I can run reports with no problem on the other computers in the network. Any thoughts?
Peter W Long

NeilZ

Re: Initializing the Report Preview

Post by NeilZ »

pwlong wrote:We are on the latest release of PC 11. When I try to run any PC standard report (output to the screen), I get the message "Initializing the report preview" and the PC waits forever. The computer runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and contains the main PC data base. Interestingly, I can run reports with no problem on the other computers in the network. Any thoughts?
I suspect the other computers are not running Win7. Is the version of Win7 a 64 bit version ? This should not affect you, but it may be a good idea to check:
Crystal Reports Errors in 64 bit Windows (affects all versions)

In 64bit Windows installations, the Crystal Reports system files are properly installed in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, but PowerChurch Plus does not look in this directory for the files, it tries to open the files from the "Program Files" folder, which causes a File Not Found error when running reports in PowerChurch Plus. A temporary solution to this problem is to copy the folder called "Seagate Software" from the "Program Files (x86)" folder into the "Program Files" folder.
I realize you're not seeing a 'file not found' but its possible that this may be part of the problem. Its worth a try ;)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

pwlong

Post by pwlong »

The "main" computer is running 64 bit Windows 7. I copied the "Seagate Software" folder and content as you suggested, but it does not fix the problem.

One of the networked computers also runs 64 bit Wondows 7, and it CAN run the reports successfully. Another network computer uses Windoows XP and also works. It is only on the 'main' computer that houses the data base that I have the problem on.
Peter W Long

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

pwlong wrote:The "main" computer is running 64 bit Windows 7. I copied the "Seagate Software" folder and content as you suggested, but it does not fix the problem.

One of the networked computers also runs 64 bit Wondows 7, and it CAN run the reports successfully. Another network computer uses Windoows XP and also works. It is only on the 'main' computer that houses the data base that I have the problem on.
Ok, last 'user' suggestion before Monday, are you running the program as any sort of 'non-privileged' user, that is not an administrator account ??

If the account has admin privileges, then I'm out of suggestions as I've not seen this come across on the forums.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

pwlong

Post by pwlong »

Hi Neil

Thank you for all your suggestions. I tried them all, and unfortunately none of them worked. In desperation, I uninstalled Power Church (it seemed to have 4 components) and re-installed it. You guessed it - it now works fine. Just love Microsoft platforms. Thanks for all your timely suggestions. On to the next challenge.
Peter W Long

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

pwlong wrote:Hi Neil

Thank you for all your suggestions. I tried them all, and unfortunately none of them worked. In desperation, I uninstalled Power Church (it seemed to have 4 components) and re-installed it. You guessed it - it now works fine. Just love Microsoft platforms. Thanks for all your timely suggestions. On to the next challenge.
4 Components ?? Oh, you mean that along with the program, it had to install runtimes. Yeah, unless they go in the right places, it won't work. Make sure you've installed the latest Maintenance Release too.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.