Windows 8

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Sandy

Windows 8

Post by Sandy »

Is Powerchurch plus compatible with windows 8. We are running version 11.5 and have bought a new computer for the church which has windows 8.

Thanks
Sandy
Sandy Daniel
Always learning and always grateful!

NeilZ

Re: Windows 8

Post by NeilZ »

Sandy wrote:Is Powerchurch plus compatible with windows 8. We are running version 11.5 and have bought a new computer for the church which has windows 8.

Thanks
Sandy
It worked fine under Windows 7, and many other older program worked well under Win7. Win 8 is not that much different.

Are you planning to use the new computer as the server or a client?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaina
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zaina »

We have not done extensive testing as yet, but we know that version 8 and above will install on Windows 8. They open and you can enter/view data. There may be some interface issues with the older versions, 8 and 9. No significant issues have been noted on 10 and above. There will be no future maintenance releases for 8 through 10 but 11 and 11.5 are still in maintenance so should any problems arise, those will be fixed.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Neil this is our main computer. Not sure what you mean by server or client. I have been using my laptop for everything but want to start the 2013 year on the new computer. I have not had the time to change over yet. We have installed it on the new computer as directed in the paperwork that came with the software. But that is as far as I have gotten. I want to start using it as soon as I can.
Sandy Daniel

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Sandy wrote:Neil this is our main computer. Not sure what you mean by server or client. I have been using my laptop for everything but want to start the 2013 year on the new computer. I have not had the time to change over yet. We have installed it on the new computer as directed in the paperwork that came with the software. But that is as far as I have gotten. I want to start using it as soon as I can.
Powerchurch can be networked on a local network. The main computer is called the 'server' and all the others are called clients.

Since you've installed the program, all you need to do now is do a backup of the database from your laptop, and restore it on the desktop computer. If you then want to use the laptop as a client, you can then delete the program from your laptop, and then follow the directions in the manual to network it to the server.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Ok! Thanks for that information.
I want to make changes to my chart of accounts and make our preschool/daycare Fund 02 (I originally set it up separate - a second installation). Should I just start new or can I fix it after I save everything to the new computer? Thanks again for all of your help!
Sandy Daniel

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Sandy wrote:Ok! Thanks for that information.
I want to make changes to my chart of accounts and make our preschool/daycare Fund 02 (I originally set it up separate - a second installation). Should I just start new or can I fix it after I save everything to the new computer? Thanks again for all of your help!
I would restore the database to the new computer, then you can make the changes you want on the new system, and have a good backup on the laptop so you can then compare to see if the changes are what you want to do.

However, if you want to completely restart accounting from scratch, you can use the "Restart Accounting" button under File -> Preferences -> Accounting Setup.

That said, if you do that, you'll lose everything you currently have entered into Accounting:

This includes posted & unposted transactions, payroll item descriptions and the Chart of Accounts. What will remain are the vendor records, employee records, and any AR customer records; however all the previously entered account numbers would be lost.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.