Application Server

Got a question or comment about PowerChurch that doesn't belong anywhere else? Why not post it here!?

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RLM

Application Server

Post by RLM »

We have recently renovated a former Nursing Home facility that we purchased for $35,000 which is now our church. I have been privileged to have a co-worker from my company who is a data center administrator assist me in setting up multiple IDF's throughout the facility. They house our phone system along with our network hardware, audio video, and future state 'hear-back' sound system. We are wanting & needing to consider an application server to be used for hosting Power Church Plus as well as being utilized as a home directory for data storage. I have no idea where to begin and need someone to offer suggestions on where to look and what to consider, as well as what to avoid. Can anyone offer some thoughts on this?
In Him,

RLM

NeilZ

Re: Application Server

Post by NeilZ »

RLM wrote:We have recently renovated a former Nursing Home facility that we purchased for $35,000 which is now our church. I have been privileged to have a co-worker from my company who is a data center administrator assist me in setting up multiple IDF's throughout the facility. They house our phone system along with our network hardware, audio video, and future state 'hear-back' sound system. We are wanting & needing to consider an application server to be used for hosting Power Church Plus as well as being utilized as a home directory for data storage. I have no idea where to begin and need someone to offer suggestions on where to look and what to consider, as well as what to avoid. Can anyone offer some thoughts on this?
FWIW ... as long as you can install the program on the server, and share the Powerchurch directory, you should be OK. All the clients will be using Windows XP/Vista/7/8, which work fine with Powerchurch v10/11. With the later versions of Powerchurch the client/server model has changed and actually works faster so there's less of an issue running the system that way.

This is assuming that you're going to have regular computers as the clients, and not a terminal server type of situation. I've not read of problems on the forum with Powerchurch used under a terminal server, but there may be sharing issues I'm not aware of.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

red3recon

Re: Application Server

Post by red3recon »

Don't store files on the server, use it to host applications/OS's. Buy a NAS for file storage and to contain data backups from your apps server.

Buy a refurb server (2x4 core procs, 16-32GB RAM, ~2TB usable storage) and install eSXi on it. Then you can host whatever you need on it and it will not be a 1 trick pony.