Version 11.5 - 06/03/2013 Maintenance Release

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Version 11.5 - 06/03/2013 Maintenance Release

Post by Zorak »

A new Maintenance Release dated 06/03/2013 has been released for Version 11.5.

The program will automatically download and install this update by going to Help > Download Maintenance Release, or you can manually download and install the Maintenance Release installer by visiting http://www.powerchurch.com/mr in your web browser.

This Maintenance Release resolves the following issues:

Accounts Receivable
  • An invoice can show twice on the Open (Unposted) Items report
  • The customer balance shown on the Maintain Customer Records screen might disagree with the balance shown on reports
  • Reports reference "Last Buy Date" instead of "Last Invoice Date"
Backup & Restore
  • Windows XP errors when backing up cdrlog.log file

pbumc

Re: Version 11.5 - 06/03/2013 Maintenance Release

Post by pbumc »

Downloaded this okay, restarted PowerChurch and let the installation run on the server. Quickly got this message:

D:\[PATH]\PCPLUS115\pcplus115.exe

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
MoveFile failed; code 183
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
Abort/Retry/Ignore

Clicked Retry and the install proceeded.

Did this happen because the installer tried to rename pcplus115.exe before PowerChurch was fully unloaded? Maybe you need a 5-second delay in there since the installer is now typically launched while PowerChurch is open.

Mark Berry
Mark Berry

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

When we have seen this error in the past, it has been related to some other process tying up the file while the updater is trying to overwrite it. In most instances, rebooting the computer and opening PowerChurch again will fix the issue.

You could also temporarily disable antivirus/security/scanning software that may be the culprit.

pbumc

Post by pbumc »

No reboot was necessary. I waited a minute and clicked Retry. I do not run anti-virus on the server.

My hunch is this: after downloading a patch, I'm advised to re-start PowerChurch to start the installation. When I start PowerChurch, even before logging in, I get the option to install the patch. At this point, PowerChurch (pcplus115.exe) is loaded in memory and locked. When I click OK to start the installation, it closes PowerChurch and launches the installer. PowerChurch will be unloaded, but depending on system load, that may take a few seconds. Meanwhile I've already clicked Next on the installer and it is trying to update files. In other words, the "other process" tying up PowerChurch is likely PowerChurch itself.

Hence my suggestion to add a 5-second delay before the installer starts. Or you could put in a loop at the beginning of the installer: IF pcplus115.exe still in memory? THEN wait. Limit the loop to 10 seconds or so.

Mark Berry
Mark Berry

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

This isn't something you can expect to happen. In doing a support history search, this error has been reported twice in the last year and there are thousands of users installing Maintenance Releases nearly every day.

pbumc

Post by pbumc »

Right, as I said, how long it takes to unload PowerChurch would depend on system load. I've installed three or four updates with this method and this is the first time I've seen it. But if I'm right about the cause, the issue is preventable, if your devs want to make the change.

Mark Berry
Mark Berry