msvcr71.dll

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

raylaurenza

msvcr71.dll

Post by raylaurenza »

Just purchased new computer for with windows 10. My older computer is on rel 11.55 and working fine on win 10.
I downloaded the 11.55 release on new computer. When it tries to lauch it comes up with " program cant start because msvcr71.dll is missing from your computer.

BroDave

Re: msvcr71.dll

Post by BroDave »

From working on computers in the past, it looks like something went wrong in the installation. Since all the files are compressed, the easiest way to fix it is to uninstall Power Church, and then reinstall. Just to be safe, you might want to reboot between uninstalling and re-installing Power Church.
If that doesn't work, you will have to play around with the install file in the EXE folder on the CD. This is not for the faint of heart, :-)
I haven't looked, but the install file may be a zipped EXE file, which can be unzipped into a folder, to see all the files. then, you would have to search for the msvcr71.dll file and copy it into the correct directory on your computer (probably in one of the SYSTEM folders inside the Windows folder).
If you go this route, expect to be copying several files to the same folder, because it's usually not just one file that's missing. Windows stops at the first missing file.
I truly hope the first option works.
Just FYI, I just bought a new laptop for the church, and have just completed installing PC+ in Windows 10, with no problems. That's why I don't think it is a problem with Power Church.
By the way, one of the things you might check, is to see if the CD is scratched, warped or smudged. You would be surprised at how often the problem turns out to be mis-handling of the CD. I have seen greasy fingerprints on a CD, scratches, and other things. you have to remember that CD's are not indestructible, and many people don't know that.
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Lighthouse Baptist Church of North Florida
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

raylaurenza wrote:Just purchased new computer for with windows 10. My older computer is on rel 11.55 and working fine on win 10.
I downloaded the 11.55 release on new computer. When it tries to lauch it comes up with " program cant start because msvcr71.dll is missing from your computer.
Ray,

you said you 'downloaded' 11.55, you really can't download the release, what you probably downloaded was the Maintenance Release. As Dave said, the best way to move to a new computer is the following:

1. Backup the entire database on the older computer, put it on a USB flash drive, or burn it to CD.
2. On the old computer head over to the HELP menu, and select the ABOUT POWERCHURCH PLUS selection, write down the Registration Number, you'll need it in step 4.
3. Install 11.55 using the CD on the newer computer, accept the default of X:\Powerchurch (where X is the drive you want to install it on). When it finishes the installation, exit the setup program, then install the MR which you downloaded by running the downloaded file.
4. Start up the program, it will ask if this is a new installation or an upgrade. Select NEW INSTALL, a dialog will appear asking for the Registration Number, and church information. You HAVE to enter the Registration Number, the rest you can just enter nonsense like this (ajfdasdfas), it will be overwritten in step 5. The system will then create the empty database tables, when its done it may restart (I forget if it does nor not).
5 RESTORE the backup you performed in step 1.

You're done.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

raylaurenza

Post by raylaurenza »

It sounds like I need the 11.55 cd. I purchased an 11.55 upgrade from 10.4 on 1/8/2013.
No idea where that cd is now.
What do I do know?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

raylaurenza wrote:It sounds like I need the 11.55 cd. I purchased an 11.55 upgrade from 10.4 on 1/8/2013.
No idea where that cd is now.
What do I do know?
Call Powerchurch directly, they can assist you.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

BroDave

Post by BroDave »

Hmm, missed that "downloaded" word. :)
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Lighthouse Baptist Church of North Florida
Bryceville, FL

jimotr

Post by jimotr »

We are periodically receiving this error. It comes and goes and don't know why. I looked in the various WIndows and PowerChurch directories and see this .dll located there. It is timestamped 2003 and 340kb in size.

Is it possible that it just needs to be 'reregistered' for Windows to see it? I don't cherish the idea of having to reinstall.

We are running Windows 10 Pro on the systems at the church.

Thanks -
Jim Reynolds
Myrtle Grove UMC
Pensacola, FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

jimotr wrote:We are periodically receiving this error. It comes and goes and don't know why. I looked in the various WIndows and PowerChurch directories and see this .dll located there. It is timestamped 2003 and 340kb in size.

Is it possible that it just needs to be 'reregistered' for Windows to see it? I don't cherish the idea of having to reinstall.

We are running Windows 10 Pro on the systems at the church.

Thanks -
Jim Reynolds
Myrtle Grove UMC
Pensacola, FL
Well, first try running the netsetup115.exe program found in the x:\powerchurch\pcplus115\install directory (where x: is the drive or shared drive where you have the program installed on the server) from the computer having the problem.

Just double-click on the file, it will run, and register all the DLLs with Windows. This usually fixes most problems like this.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jimotr

Post by jimotr »

I will give this a try. However, this is happening on the server as well. I suppose if this doesn't take care of the problem, I'll need to uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks,
Jim Reynolds
Myrtle Grove UMC
Pensacola FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

jimotr wrote:I will give this a try. However, this is happening on the server as well. I suppose if this doesn't take care of the problem, I'll need to uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks,
Jim Reynolds
Myrtle Grove UMC
Pensacola FL
As I noted above ..
Well, first try running the netsetup115.exe program found in the x:\powerchurch\pcplus115\install directory (where x: is the drive or shared drive where you have the program installed on the server) from the computer having the problem.
This should work on ANY computer having the problem. Server, Client, doesn't matter. It will re-register all the .DLLs

If that doesn't work, let us know.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jimotr

Post by jimotr »

Thanks - I ran it and it appears to have worked - unless it's the 'on again - off again' situation. I'll follow up on this post as needed.

Jim