Version 10 - 09/10/2008 MR

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zephyr
Tech Support
Tech Support

v10 Maintenance Release dated 9-10-2008 now available!

Post by Zephyr »

Here are some of the issues that have been corrected in this Maintenance Release:

Changing the title for contribution statements would not work if the church location was set to Canada.

Pressing Ctrl+J on the keyboard while on a Locate screen would generate an error indicating that the "command contains unrecognized phrase/keyword."

Under the Personal Profiles Setup Options screen, it was possible to enter a negative number in the "age at which a person is considered to be an adult" field.

When using the "reassign an envelope" number feature in Contributions to combine envelopes, it was possible that duplicate pledges would then exist for the combined envelope.

Changing the date of an unposted contribution would not look for an active pledge that the contribution could be applied to.

A person with access only rights in Accounts Payable could change the vendor ID under the Maintain Open Invoices screen by simply clicking in the field and typing in a different vendor ID.

Deleting all the occurrences of an event would not delete all the associated records from every data file.

If all the items for an employee in Payroll had zero amounts, no check would print, but zero amount items would still be created in the data file when checks were processed.

In a networked environment, if one person had the "post contributions" screen open and another individual used the "reassign an envelope number" option, the program would indicate that number was reassigned when in fact it wasn't.

The program would let you add a vendor in Accounts Payable with the ID of MISC or VOID when those are actually built-in vendor records. It would also allow you to reassign an existing vendor ID to MISC or VOID.

The "Maintain Activity Descriptions" screen is accessible from both Activities & Skills and Attendance menus, but was labeled differently in each module.

The "activity name tags" report is available from both Activities & Skills and Attendance but had a different description in each module.

Some USB flash drives with U3 technology would cause a Windows Protection Fault when you attempted to use them for backups. Some DVD-RW drives could also cause problems during the backup process. A new backup control has now been added which should prevent many of these issues.

The program would allow you to add a new contribution fund with the same number as an existing one. In this situation, the new fund would actually be created with no fund number so it could not be used when entering contributions.

When using the Locate screen to pick an activity in order to enter attendance through the Fast Data Entry screen, the type and department for every activity would read "none."

Under certain circumstances, when posting negative contributions to reverse multiple incorrect entries, both the positive and negative contributions would appear on the contribution statement.

If you attempt to close the program while adding a tax table in Payroll, the program would generate an error message.

The Activity/Skill Descriptions report in Activities & Skills is accessible from both Activities & Skills and Attendance but had a different name and description in each module.

Some changes have been made to the Backup and Restore utility to help prevent problems writing to CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW media.

ConnieL

Problems opening saved reports w/latest maintenance release

Post by ConnieL »

Since installing the latest maintenance release I can not access any reports from powerchurch that I had saved to my document folder. This includes reports that I had previously accessed. I have not changed any of my programs other than installing the latest update for powerchurch. The following is the message that comes up every time. "you are attempting to open a file that was created in an earllier version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening in this version by your registry policy setting."

As I stated before, I haven't changed anything on my computer and was able to open every report that I had saved until the last maintenance release. I use Microsoft Office Word 2003 and am using Vista with no other problems.
Connie L.
Orange Grove Free Methodist Church
Bradenton, FL

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

Connie the problem is not with the Maintenance release. Apparently Word 3 has been automatically updated since the installation of the maintenance release. This update prevents Word 3 from reading files from older versions of Word and is a Microsoft security measure. This thread will answer your issue.

http://www.powerchurch.com/forum/viewto ... ight=word3

I suggest that you save the files in PDF formate in the future which will avoid the problem.
Tom

hccdecatur

Re: Version 10 - 09/10/2008 MR

Post by hccdecatur »

I am having the same issue on Version 11 and spent all night trying to figure out what to do. I have looked at Microsoft and powerchurch's website as well, downloaded programs, and file downloads and still I cannot open an absentee report formatted in Word. What do I need to do? Are there any easy steps to resolve this?

I am on Vista and have Office 07 ver 2. I am unsure how the file was created, but have been able to view previous files just like that, as recent as last week.

NeilZ

Re: Version 10 - 09/10/2008 MR

Post by NeilZ »

[quote="hccdecatur"]I am having the same issue on Version 11 and spent all night trying to figure out what to do. I have looked at Microsoft and powerchurch's website as well, downloaded programs, and file downloads and still I cannot open an absentee report formatted in Word. What do I need to do? Are there any easy steps to resolve this?

I am on Vista and have Office 07 ver 2. I am unsure how the file was created, but have been able to view previous files just like that, as recent as last week.[/quote]

Just a friendly bit of advice, since this really had nothing to do with the Ver 10 maintenance release, it would have been a good idea to start a new topic under Membership. This question could have gotten lost.

Now to your problem, as has been pointed out, the problem is with MS Office, not Powerchurch. Powerchurch uses a report writer program that creates Word files in the format most often used. Unfortunately, this hits against Microsoft's penchant to 'do things for you', in this case increase security.

The entire problem is outlined here: http://blogs.msdn.com/david_leblanc/arc ... rmats.aspx , along with recommended fixes.