Maintenance Release - Version 10 - 3/17/09

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GDeiChurch

Maintenance Release - Version 10 - 3/17/09

Post by GDeiChurch »

First off, I know this is the wrong place for this, but the Maintenance Release Forum won't let me post there. It tells me only Moderators can post to that forum.

That being said, I just received notification of this MR and downloaded it immediately. When I went to run it, I got an error message that said: "Could not initialize installation. Filesize expected = 20114516, size returned = 76460."

How do I fix this?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Try downloading the file again. That happens sometimes when downloading larger files. Your browser thought the download was complete before it actually was.

GDeiChurch

Post by GDeiChurch »

Zorak wrote:Try downloading the file again. That happens sometimes when downloading larger files. Your browser thought the download was complete before it actually was.
I tried that a number of times, but it still didn't work. I ended up trying to download through Internet Explorer instead of AOL, and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help!

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Maintenance Release - Version 10 - 3/17/09

Post by Zorak »

GDeiChurch wrote:First off, I know this is the wrong place for this, but the Maintenance Release Forum won't let me post there. It tells me only Moderators can post to that forum.
FYI, any user can respond to an existing topic, but only Moderators can post new topics. Sounds like you were trying to post a new topic instead of replying to the one that already exists for this Maintenance Release.

Eden Whitehead

Post by Eden Whitehead »

GDeiChurch wrote: I ended up trying to download through Internet Explorer instead of AOL, and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help!
I had trouble downloading through Firefox. Your post gave me the reminder I needed to use IE instead. So, thanks! Maybe on the next MR I'll remember to change browsers before I spend time spinning my wheels.

Eden
*Still* learning... and gratefully so!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

That's weird, I've not had a problem downloading any of the MR's using Firefox.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

I have never had a problem downloading with Firefox either.
Tom

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Sorry for off-topic post ...

Eden,

what version of Firefox are you using ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GDeiChurch

Re: Maintenance Release - Version 10 - 3/17/09

Post by GDeiChurch »

Zorak wrote:
GDeiChurch wrote:First off, I know this is the wrong place for this, but the Maintenance Release Forum won't let me post there. It tells me only Moderators can post to that forum.
FYI, any user can respond to an existing topic, but only Moderators can post new topics. Sounds like you were trying to post a new topic instead of replying to the one that already exists for this Maintenance Release.
You're right, I was trying to post a new topic because at the time one had not yet been created for the new release! I guess I was just too quick, lol! :)

Eden Whitehead

Post by Eden Whitehead »

NeilZ wrote:Sorry for off-topic post ...

Eden,

Firefox 3.0.7 ... Sure didn't mean to stir things up! Undoubtedly this is yet another case of operator error. :oops: But what happened is (consistent in at least 3 attempts), when I clicked on the option to save the download file, that was the end of the road. Never asked where to save it and, as far as I could tell, never got saved anywhere. So, was "save" the wrong answer?

Thanks, friends!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Eden Whitehead wrote:
NeilZ wrote:Sorry for off-topic post ...

Eden,

Firefox 3.0.7 ... Sure didn't mean to stir things up! Undoubtedly this is yet another case of operator error. :oops: But what happened is (consistent in at least 3 attempts), when I clicked on the option to save the download file, that was the end of the road. Never asked where to save it and, as far as I could tell, never got saved anywhere. So, was "save" the wrong answer?

Thanks, friends!
Firefox defaults to a Downloads directory (usually under My Documents) unless you change that under Tools>Options on the Main tab. On that tab, you can change the default action to always ask where to save file.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Eden Whitehead

Post by Eden Whitehead »

Neil,

Thank you once again for your kind help! Your presence in this forum (along with a number of others) is such a blessing, and one of the reasons I value PowerChurch+ as highly as I do. :D

Following your advice, I have just checked the Main tab on Tools>Options and see that the default is already set to always ask where to save file. The MR .exe isn't in My Documents and doesn't show up in a Search except in the location I explicitly gave when I used Internet Explorer to download. So it looks like the several download attempts via Firefox didn't work despite the setting in Tools>Options.

Eden

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Eden Whitehead wrote:Neil,

Thank you once again for your kind help! Your presence in this forum (along with a number of others) is such a blessing, and one of the reasons I value PowerChurch+ as highly as I do. :D

Following your advice, I have just checked the Main tab on Tools>Options and see that the default is already set to always ask where to save file. The MR .exe isn't in My Documents and doesn't show up in a Search except in the location I explicitly gave when I used Internet Explorer to download. So it looks like the several download attempts via Firefox didn't work despite the setting in Tools>Options.

Eden
Definately weird ... I guess we'll have to leave it at that.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Eden Whitehead

Post by Eden Whitehead »

NeilZ wrote:

Eden
Well, here I am again -- definitely weird!

Does anyone know of an "issue" with Firefox 3.0.8 that would be preventing me from downloading PC+ MRs?

My attempt to download the 3/30 MR for version 10 on Firefox 3.0.8 produced the same result as with the 3/17 MR.

I clicked on the Download Now link, then clicked on Save File when the Opening pcp10mr.exe window appeared, and then -- NOTHING!

I looked in the PowerChurch directory on the C drive even though I have Always ask me where to save files checked on the Main tab of the Tools>Options screen in Firefox. I also have cookies Allowed for powerchurch.com. I ran a search on the entire computer for pcp10mr.exe using today's date as a filter. NOTHING!

So putting aside my native stubbornness, I broke down and resorted to Internet Explorer, which provides the option of WHERE to save the file when you click on Save in the File Download - Security Warning box that comes up as a result of clicking on Download Now on the PC+ MR page.

I really hate having to switch browsers just for the sake of these downloads and would really appreciate if anyone has any suggestions as to what is going on.

Or, I guess, I'll have to resign myself as Neil said before and accept it as definitely weird....

Gratefully,
Eden

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Eden Whitehead wrote:
NeilZ wrote:

Eden
Well, here I am again -- definitely weird!

Does anyone know of an "issue" with Firefox 3.0.8 that would be preventing me from downloading PC+ MRs?

My attempt to download the 3/30 MR for version 10 on Firefox 3.0.8 produced the same result as with the 3/17 MR.

I clicked on the Download Now link, then clicked on Save File when the Opening pcp10mr.exe window appeared, and then -- NOTHING!

I looked in the PowerChurch directory on the C drive even though I have Always ask me where to save files checked on the Main tab of the Tools>Options screen in Firefox. I also have cookies Allowed for powerchurch.com. I ran a search on the entire computer for pcp10mr.exe using today's date as a filter. NOTHING!

So putting aside my native stubbornness, I broke down and resorted to Internet Explorer, which provides the option of WHERE to save the file when you click on Save in the File Download - Security Warning box that comes up as a result of clicking on Download Now on the PC+ MR page.

I really hate having to switch browsers just for the sake of these downloads and would really appreciate if anyone has any suggestions as to what is going on.

Or, I guess, I'll have to resign myself as Neil said before and accept it as definitely weird....

Gratefully,
Eden
Eden,

AFAIK ... there is something strange on your computer. I was able to download the MR on two separate computers on two separate networks using Firefox, both 3.0.8 and the beta version 3.1.

If you have Firefox setup in the options to ask where to put the file, and it isn't, then there is a problem with the configuration file not being written with the changes.

What I'd do is backup your bookmarks (use the export feature) to another directory. Then uninstall Firefox, if it asks if you want to delete settings, say yes.. I'd then make sure that the Firefox directory is deleted.

Then reinstall Firefox, and inport your bookmarks, then see what happens.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.