Check In - 11/10/2010 Maintenance Release

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Check In - 11/10/2010 Maintenance Release

Post by Zorak »

A new Maintenance Release for the PowerChurch Check In system has been published, dated 11/10/2010.

There are no longer separate installers for kiosk and server components. The kiosks will update automatically after connecting to the server the first time.

http://powerchurch.com/mr

This release contains following fixes:

- Remove existing Dymo printer, then install a new one, Kiosk will not recognize any Dymo printer
- Error message running Check In Server on Windows 2000
- Error running Kiosk on Windows 2000 with Dymo printer
- Missing line breaks between multiple children on parent label
- Teacher notes label only shows one note, not multiple children notes
- Full page form includes multiple names checked in, not one per page
- Dymo printer dialog pops up behind the Kiosk software
- Some lists were not properly sorted alphabetically (A-Z then a-z)

MTZDetroit

Re: Check In - 11/10/2010 Maintenance Release

Post by MTZDetroit »

Hello,
I am trying to install CheckIn on a new station and I cannot get it to connect to the server. I installed the original CheckIn software, then installed the 8-2-2010MR. Then when I start the kiosk I am prompted for the server IP. I am using the correct IP but the message indicates we are at different release level...I know that is true because I already applied the 11-20-2010MR for the CheckIn Server which supposed to automatically update the kiosk....but how can it update if it cannot connect?

Michael Sanchez
PC Plus 11
Mt Zion Temple - Clarkston, MI

Zero
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zero »

Shortly after Check In was released we changed the design behind the Kiosk/Server interaction. The idea is that instead of having two different maintenance release files to download, we combined it into one single file.
The kiosk will check it's version with the server and push a new version of the kiosk to the workstation.

Since you are using the old kiosk version this functionality was not implemented. To get around this, you can install the last (now obsolete) kiosk MR. This will setup the kiosk to get the latest version from the server so the next time you run the kiosk it will pull down the 11/10/2010 version.

MTZDetroit

Post by MTZDetroit »

Thanks for the post.....Let me list my order of intallation:
Install original Kiosk software.
Next, install MR8-2-2010.
I did not have to update my server since it is already running MR11-10-2010.
When trying to connect the kiosk to the server the message indicates they are not at the same release level.
Since the kiosk has never actually connected as this is a new install how can I get the kiosk to be recognized?

This is crucial because we have several kiosks and we need a means to connect new kiosks as we need them.

Thanks,
Michael Sanchez
Mt Zion Temple
CheckIn MR11-10-2010
PC Plus MR7-12-2010

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

This would have been better asked in the regular Check In topic as it really isn't a problem with the MR as it is with connectivity.

That said, this appears to be something you had better call Powerchurch support directly on. When you call, tell the receptionist that you have a problem or bug with the program itself.

The latest MR for the Check In server was supposed to automatically update the client if you have the previous kiosk MR installed, evidently its not working.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

MTZDetroit wrote:Thanks for the post.....Let me list my order of intallation:
Install original Kiosk software.
Next, install MR8-2-2010.
I did not have to update my server since it is already running MR11-10-2010.
When trying to connect the kiosk to the server the message indicates they are not at the same release level.
Since the kiosk has never actually connected as this is a new install how can I get the kiosk to be recognized?
Copy the pckiosk.exe from the server to the kiosk. The design of the kiosk/server changed and apparently it hasn't been tested with your scenario.
The pckiosk11.exe should be able to connect to the server and download a new pckiosk.exe and launch it. If the user launching pckiosk11.exe doesn't have write rights to the pckiosk.exe, this might fail without a notification and launch the existing pckiosk.exe. Call the office and speak with a technician explaining the problem you've had. If copying the pckiosk.exe works or not, we'd like to know. A new kiosk release may need to be required to correctly take care of this scenario. The more information we get connected to a support log, the better the problem will be resolved.

Thank you.
Tracy

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... I had not yet updated my testbed computer with the Server release. When I went to get the downloads, there was a Kiosk as well as a Server MR available.

I downloaded both.

Installed the Server MR first, shut down and restarted the Server service. Started up the Kiosk, got the 'different version error'.

Installed the Kiosk MR, then started up the Kiosk. First saw an 'Updating Components' dialog, then the Kiosk opened correctly.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

MTZDetroit

Post by MTZDetroit »

Thanks. I found the solution.
1) Install the original CheckIn software from the installation CD.
2) Install the original Server software from the installation CD.
3) Download and install the most recent maitenance from Power Church support link.
4) Execute the Kiosk from the executable found in c:\PowerChurch\PCServer11

Michael Sanchez
PC Plus 11 / CheckIn 11
Clarkston, MI