Version 11.5 - 01/25/2012 Maintenance Release

This forum is dedicated to information about Maintenance Releases

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Version 11.5 - 01/25/2012 Maintenance Release

Post by Zorak »

A new Maintenance Release dated 01/25/2012 has been released for Version 11.5.

The program will automatically download and install this update by going to Help > Download Maintenance Release, or you can manually download and install the Maintenance Release installer by visiting http://powerchurch.com/mr in your web browser.

This Maintenance Release resolves the following issues:

- Allow three decimal places in the HST percentages
- Budget Entry screen leaves data file in use
- Box 14 notes cut off on W2 e-file

RevWJones

Re: Version 11.5 - 01/25/2012 Maintenance Release

Post by RevWJones »

"RevWJones"]It is my understanding from a previous MR that these M0's should be installed on the host server directly (not from a workstation). If not please let me know. My concern is that, before I could get to my server, a non-admin installed this MR at their workstation and somehow it propagated through to and actually updated the server. Now mind you, that this user has rw access to the PC+ file directory on the server. But there is also another question. I have a number of other workstations (WXP machines) that I must log into with an admin account to install these MR's. But this time, when I logged into one of those PC's with a non-admin account and attempted to run PC+11.5, the PC proceeded with the installation/update.

What is happening with the updates; they no longer require admin privileges to run?

Please advise.

revwjones

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RevWJones wrote:"RevWJones"]It is my understanding from a previous MR that these M0's should be installed on the host server directly (not from a workstation). If not please let me know. My concern is that, before I could get to my server, a non-admin installed this MR at their workstation and somehow it propagated through to and actually updated the server. Now mind you, that this user has rw access to the PC+ file directory on the server. But there is also another question. I have a number of other workstations (WXP machines) that I must log into with an admin account to install these MR's. But this time, when I logged into one of those PC's with a non-admin account and attempted to run PC+11.5, the PC proceeded with the installation/update.

What is happening with the updates; they no longer require admin privileges to run?

Please advise.

revwjones
With the way Powerchurch is required to be networked, every user, admin or no, of Powerchurch has full privileges to the Powerchurch directory on the server. This does include the ability to accept the autodownload/autoupdate notices that appear when the program is opened. The system will ask the user if it should download the update. If the user says yes, the download will begin, and be downloaded to the server's install directory.

When the program is shutdown then opened, again on any workstation, the MR will then load to the server.

However, you do not have to go to every workstation to do the updates, as the system will automatically update any workstation when a user, again admin or no, logs on. With version 11, the way Powerchurch has been networked has changed, with the main program staying on the server, and the system calling that program from the workstation. What is updated on the workstations are the various runtime files that are used.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RevWJones

Post by RevWJones »

Ok thanks, Neil, for your explanation. Unfortunately, this can be dangerous. There are times when I'd like to hold off from an update but since any of the PC+ users can proceed with it, this prevents the local administrator from effectively managing these updates. I usually coordinate/install these updates during downtime. I DON'T LIKE THIS ONE. :? Anyway, I'll send a memo to my users requesting that they NEVER click yes to download and install any MR.

Again, thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RevWJones wrote:Ok thanks, Neil, for your explanation. Unfortunately, this can be dangerous. There are times when I'd like to hold off from an update but since any of the PC+ users can proceed with it, this prevents the local administrator from effectively managing these updates. I usually coordinate/install these updates during downtime. I DON'T LIKE THIS ONE. :? Anyway, I'll send a memo to my users requesting that they NEVER click yes to download and install any MR.

Again, thanks.
FWIW ... most MRs do not normally add functionality, they're usually fixing something that was not working right in the first place.

That said, I can see where you would want to keep non-admins from doing updates. Perhaps a setting on the system preferences that will set a flag on the database that the autodownload program reads to determine if the system admin has OK'd non-admins to do MR downloads/updates??

Hey Powerchurch guys and gals .. what do you think, something to add to the wishlist ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.