Equipment Inventory

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

indymtc

Equipment Inventory

Post by indymtc »

I am having difficulties deleting items in our inventory as they are sold or gotten rid of. I highlight the item, hit the delete button and do a save. When I go back up to look at the line where that item was it is blank. If I get out of PowerChurch and go back in the item is there as if I never deleted it.

NeilZ

Re: Equipment Inventory

Post by NeilZ »

indymtc wrote:I am having difficulties deleting items in our inventory as they are sold or gotten rid of. I highlight the item, hit the delete button and do a save. When I go back up to look at the line where that item was it is blank. If I get out of PowerChurch and go back in the item is there as if I never deleted it.
Two things:

1. Have you done a Reindex of the database lately. You can find this under the Utilities menu.
2. What version of Powerchurch are you using ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

You shouldn't need to save anything after deleting. That may be what's happening. If the item is still shown on the screen after you delete it, click Next/Previous or the Locate button after deleting and you should see it's gone from the list.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Zorak wrote:You shouldn't need to save anything after deleting. That may be what's happening. If the item is still shown on the screen after you delete it, click Next/Previous or the Locate button after deleting and you should see it's gone from the list.
DOH ... just tested that ... works the same as in other areas ... sheesh :oops:
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

indymtc

Post by indymtc »

We are a hosted client. I did finally get rid of the item by using the following approach:
Locate Item, highlight and click on delete item
Go to blank line where item was, highlight and click on delete item
Click on Save
If you try to do a next, I get asked if I want to save my changes.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

You won't have to go through all those steps if you use the Delete button at the top of the screen, instead of the Delete Item button at the bottom.

indymtc

Post by indymtc »

Zorak wrote:You won't have to go through all those steps if you use the Delete button at the top of the screen, instead of the Delete Item button at the bottom.
If I do that instead of using "delete item" won't I delete all of the items in that category? The category is audio/video and it has over 40 items in it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

indymtc wrote:
Zorak wrote:You won't have to go through all those steps if you use the Delete button at the top of the screen, instead of the Delete Item button at the bottom.
If I do that instead of using "delete item" won't I delete all of the items in that category? The category is audio/video and it has over 40 items in it.
Ah .. I don't think Zorak got that from the post.

So you're trying to delete only one item in what is basically a category of items.

I just tested something, when you go and delete a line, do not hit the SAVE button on the window. Click on the NEXT or PREVIOUS and wait for the 'did you want to save' pop up to appear, click YES. This should be a good work around.

For Zorak :

There is an issue that I found when I was testing. If you're deleting something at the top or middle of the list, the window does not refresh, you see a blank line. This I've seen when clicking on the SAVE button after the delete.

If I click on the NEXT or PREVIOUS, and save using the pop up message, it works most times and resets the window, but not always.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

OK, now I understand. That isn't exactly how we envisioned that screen to be used, but it makes sense. If you have 40 different audio/video items, like TVs, video projectors, overhead projectors, PA systems, mixing boards, etc. and have them all lumped together as detail items under one single "A/V Equipment" item, it limits the functionality that you will be able to get from them, like reserving in events, etc. It is expected that the parent item/the item listed at the top of the screen will be a single item or kind of item, like TV. Then, the detail items listed below are all the different models or individual instances of TV that you have.

There is a customizable "Category" field, where we would expect "A/V Equipment" to be listed on the TVs, projectors, and mixing boards.

There does seem to be a bug in the code somewhere. I was able to recreate the problem you are having once, then I haven't been able to make it happen again, so I'm guessing things need to be "just so" in the database to make it happen. In any case, we'll get it figured out and fixed in the next Maintenance Release!