Backup to CD using Windows 8

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

rospenc4

Backup to CD using Windows 8

Post by rospenc4 »

Our church just purchased new computers with the Windows 8 OS. We are using PowerChurch Plus 8.5. I installed the program on our new computer and restored the data from a previous backup. Very thing works fine on the new systems, expect when I attempt to do a backup. The only available drive is 'F:' and my DVD/CD drive is 'E:'. The pull-down menu does not provide alternative drives.

On the older, obsolete system, the backup drive was 'D:'.

Is Windows 8 new backup 'File History' preventing me from backing up to a CD?

NeilZ

Re: Backup to CD using Windows 8

Post by NeilZ »

rospenc4 wrote:Our church just purchased new computers with the Windows 8 OS. We are using PowerChurch Plus 8.5. I installed the program on our new computer and restored the data from a previous backup. Very thing works fine on the new systems, expect when I attempt to do a backup. The only available drive is 'F:' and my DVD/CD drive is 'E:'. The pull-down menu does not provide alternative drives.

On the older, obsolete system, the backup drive was 'D:'.

Is Windows 8 new backup 'File History' preventing me from backing up to a CD?
No, versions 8.5 and 9 never had the ability to save to CD. Neither one is under support any longer, and you're 4 versions behind. You can upgrade to the new version 11.5 for $149 + $10 shipping. The upgrade includes the CD and manual.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

rospenc4

Post by rospenc4 »

We have been backing up our data to CD using Powerchurch Ver. 8.5 since we purchased the software. It only fails to backup to CD since upgrading the OS to Windows 8.

Ant other responses would be welcomed.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

rospenc4 wrote:We have been backing up our data to CD using Powerchurch Ver. 8.5 since we purchased the software. It only fails to backup to CD since upgrading the OS to Windows 8.

Ant other responses would be welcomed.
I misremembered about what the problem was. Versions earlier than 10.4 will not do backups to DVD drives. Most new machines are coming out with DVD/RW drives instead of CD-RW drives.

I suspect that what your issue is.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

rospenc4

Post by rospenc4 »

Thanks for the explanation. Appears we will have to upgrade our software version. --Ron

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

rospenc4 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Appears we will have to upgrade our software version. --Ron
No problem ... I'm sorry for the original misinformation, just remembered it had something to do with CD backups, and I had to do some additional research.

FWIW ... upgrading is very easy, and the new version has a lot of new features that will help to make the program easier to use.

That said, there are major changes in the way some things work, so I would definitely do a test install and conversion of data so people can get used to the differences in the areas, especially in Accounting and Payroll where there has been some changes.

Keep using the 8.5 version for 'live' data, then when everyone is ready, redo the conversion by deleting the DATA directory under the x:\Powerchurch\PCPLUS115 folder. This will force a new conversion, and the Payroll conversion wizard will need to be redone with the updated data, as will other areas. However by using a test area beforehand, people will know what to expect.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.