Recovery Help Required

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

camlisker

Recovery Help Required

Post by camlisker »

Our server crashed and we had to use a 6 month old backup of our entire server to recover all data (not just powerchurch). We have never done a PowerChurch backup from within powerchurch.
When I go to relaunch the program it says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running..."
Even though I have not changed versions. I thought it may be a corrupt exe file so I reinstalled the application but keeping the "data" folder of PowerChurch. Now when I launch it says, "A problem with a configuration file is preventing the program from starting. If the problem continues, contact Technical Support".
I tried moving the "data" folder to allow for a fresh install which works. But then when I do "upgrade from an existing version of PowerChurch. and I select the data folder it says "PowerChurch files were not found at the location specified".

Is there any way of recovering the data that is within those files? What else can I try?

NeilZ

Re: Recovery Help Required

Post by NeilZ »

camlisker wrote:Our server crashed and we had to use a 6 month old backup of our entire server to recover all data (not just powerchurch). We have never done a PowerChurch backup from within powerchurch.
When I go to relaunch the program it says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running..."
Even though I have not changed versions. I thought it may be a corrupt exe file so I reinstalled the application but keeping the "data" folder of PowerChurch. Now when I launch it says, "A problem with a configuration file is preventing the program from starting. If the problem continues, contact Technical Support".
I tried moving the "data" folder to allow for a fresh install which works. But then when I do "upgrade from an existing version of PowerChurch. and I select the data folder it says "PowerChurch files were not found at the location specified".

Is there any way of recovering the data that is within those files? What else can I try?
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do via the forum. I would call tech support directly as this is going to involve you talking to them, and accessing the server. If this is your first tech support call, you still have 90 days of support coming to you without having to pay anything.

I fully expect that you may need to send the entire data directory to Powerchurch so they can try to recover the data for you.

Which version of Powerchurch are you using ?? V11 now has a way to schedule unattended Powerchurch backups, which would prevent you having to go through this in the future.

FWIW ... this is why its recommended to backup from within Powerchurch. A full server backup is fine, but you need a good backup strategy for full server backups to work. Having that small Powerchurch backup file, even a week old backup, has saved me from a lot of headaches and gray hair.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.