Backup to Network Drive Won't Work

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

PhilParker

Backup to Network Drive Won't Work

Post by PhilParker »

I am attempting to use the PC+ backup utility to backup my data to an external hard drive on my network. The hard drive is connected to another computer via USB cable. The hard drive is shared as \\server\External Hard Drive. I have mapped this share on the computer I want to do the backup from as E:\. So when attempting the backup, I point to E:\FASTChurch Backups\PowerChurch\Bridgeport NLA. But when I initiate the backup, I simply get the message: "Could not create output file (E:\FASTChurch Backups\PowerChurch\Bridgeport NLA\PCBackup_xxxx.zip)." I have also attempted to do the backup just going through the full address, without the drive name (\\server\External Hard Drive\FASTChurch . . .) with the same results.

Please let me know what I need to do to accomplish what I am attempting. Thank you.

NeilZ

Re: Backup to Network Drive Won't Work

Post by NeilZ »

PhilParker wrote:I am attempting to use the PC+ backup utility to backup my data to an external hard drive on my network. The hard drive is connected to another computer via USB cable. The hard drive is shared as \\server\External Hard Drive. I have mapped this share on the computer I want to do the backup from as E:\. So when attempting the backup, I point to E:\FASTChurch Backups\PowerChurch\Bridgeport NLA. But when I initiate the backup, I simply get the message: "Could not create output file (E:\FASTChurch Backups\PowerChurch\Bridgeport NLA\PCBackup_xxxx.zip)." I have also attempted to do the backup just going through the full address, without the drive name (\\server\External Hard Drive\FASTChurch . . .) with the same results.

Please let me know what I need to do to accomplish what I am attempting. Thank you.
First off, does a manually initiated backup work from the Powerchurch Utilities menu?
Has the remote directory been shared with FULL permissions to all ??

If the manual backup works from PCPlus, then when you setup the Task Scheduler to do the backup, did you use your computer UserID as initiator ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

PhilParker

Re: Backup to Network Drive Won't Work

Post by PhilParker »

Manually initiated backups do work from Utilities (that's how I've always done them).

But your second question was the issue. I went into the share and found that, when you set up a share, the default is read only. I changed it to full access (read and write). The backup worked perfectly.

Task Scheduler was my next step. But I couldn't do it until I knew the manual backup would work. Now that it does, Task Scheduler should work as well.

Thanks!